Washington DC Message Boards

Luke_Wilbur

God promised long life to the righteous. By the power of God's Holy Spirit Jesus promised us eternal life if we follow his ways.

The Didache - The Teaching
Chapter 2

2:1 And this is the second commandment of the teaching.
2:2 thou shalt not perjure thyself, thou shalt not bear false witness,} thou shalt not speak evil, thou shalt not cherish a grudge, thou shalt not be double-minded nor double-tongued;
2:3 for the double tongue is a snare of death.
2:4 Thy word shall not be false or empty, but fulfilled by action.
2:5 Thou shalt not be avaricious nor a plunderer nor a hypocrite nor ill-tempered

Psalms 34

34:13 Then make sure you don’t speak evil words

or use deceptive speech!

34:14 Turn away from evil and do what is right!

Strive for peace and promote it!

King David was a great writer even when he was a young man.

Psalms 51

52:1 Why do you boast about your evil plans, O powerful man?

God’s loyal love protects me all day long!

52:2 Your tongue carries out your destructive plans;

it is as effective as a sharp razor, O deceiver.

52:3 You love evil more than good,

lies more than speaking the truth.(Selah)

52:4 You love to use all the words that destroy,

and the tongue that deceives.

52:5 Yet 10 God will make you a permanent heap of ruins.

He will scoop you up and remove you from your home;

he will uproot you from the land of the living. (Selah)

52:6 When the godly see this, they will be filled with awe,

and will mock the evildoer, saying:

52:7 “Look, here is the man who would not make God his protector!

He trusted in his great wealth

and was confident about his plans to destroy others.”

52:8 But I am like a flourishing olive tree in the house of God;

I continually trust in God’s loyal love.

Luke 6 - The Revelation

6:43 “For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit,

6:44 for each tree is known by its own fruit. For figs are not gathered from thorns, nor are grapes picked from brambles.

6:45 The good person out of the good treasury of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasury produces evil, for his mouth speaks from what fills his heart.

1 Peter 3

3:8 Finally, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, affectionate, compassionate, and humble.

3:9 Do not return evil for evil or insult for insult, but instead bless others because you were called to inherit a blessing.

3:10 For the one who wants to love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from uttering deceit.

3:11 And he must turn away from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it.

3:12 For the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous and his ears are open to their prayer.
But the Lord’s face is against those who do evil.

Proverbs 15

15:28 The heart of the righteous considers how to answer,

but the mouth of the wicked pours out evil things.

15:29 The Lord is far from the wicked,

but he hears the prayer of the righteous.

Isaiah 32

32:7 A deceiver’s methods are evil;

he dreams up evil plans

to ruin the poor with lies,

even when the needy are in the right.

32:8 An honorable man makes honorable plans;

his honorable character gives him security.

Isaiah 33

33:15 The one who lives uprightly

and speaks honestly;

the one who refuses to profit from oppressive measures

and rejects a bribe;

the one who does not plot violent crimes

and does not seek to harm others –

33:16 This is the person who will live in a secure place;

he will find safety in the rocky, mountain strongholds;

he will have food

and a constant supply of water.

33:17 You will see a king in his splendor;

Matthew 5

5:11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you and say all kinds of evil things about you falsely on account of me.

5:12 Rejoice and be glad because your reward is great in heaven, for they persecuted the prophets before you in the same way.

Jesus was a model with a noble purpose that is still is remembered for His love and devotion to Adonai and mankind.

Matthew 9 - The Revelation

9:1 After getting into a boat he crossed to the other side and came to his own town.

9:2 Just then some people brought to him a paralytic lying on a stretcher. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Have courage, son! Your sins are forgiven.”

9:3 Then some of the experts in the law said to themselves, “This man is blaspheming!”

9:4 When Jesus saw their reaction he said, “Why do you respond with evil in your hearts?

9:5 Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven’ or to say, ‘Stand up and walk’?

9:6 But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins” – then he said to the paralytic – “Stand up, take your stretcher, and go home.”

9:7 And he stood up and went home.

9:8 When the crowd saw this, they were afraid and honored God who had given such authority to men.

993535_499999510072809_1951051836_n.jpg

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 2

2:2 thou shalt not perjure thyself, thou shalt not bear false witness,} thou shalt not speak evil, thou shalt not cherish a grudge, thou shalt not be double-minded nor double-tongued;
2:5 Thou shalt not be avaricious nor a plunderer nor a hypocrite nor ill-tempered

Leviticus 19 - The Law

19:17 You must not hate your brother in your heart. You must surely reprove your fellow citizen so that you do not incur sin on account of him.

19:18 You must not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the children of your people, but you must love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.

James 5

5:9 Do not grumble against one another, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be judged. See, the judge stands before the gates!

5:10 As an example of suffering and patience, brothers and sisters, take the prophets who spoke in the Lord’s name.

5:11 Think of how we regard as blessed those who have endured. You have heard of Job’s endurance and you have seen the Lord’s purpose, that the Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

5:12 And above all, my brothers and sisters, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath. But let your “Yes” be yes and your “No” be no, so that you may not fall into judgment.

Take the time an listen to Mercy Me "Bring The Rain"

1 Peter 4

4:12 Dear friends, do not be astonished that a trial by fire is occurring among you, as though something strange were happening to you.

4:13 But rejoice in the degree that you have shared in the sufferings of Christ, so that when his glory is revealed you may also rejoice and be glad.

4:14 If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory, who is the Spirit of God, rests on you.

4:15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer or thief or criminal or as a troublemaker.

4:16 But if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but glorify God that you bear such a name.

4:17 For it is time for judgment to begin, starting with the house of God. And if it starts with us, what will be the fate of those who are disobedient to the gospel of God?

4:18 And if the righteous are barely saved, what will become of the ungodly and sinners?

4:19 So then let those who suffer according to the will of God entrust their souls to a faithful Creator as they do good.

James 1

1:2 My brothers and sisters, consider it nothing but joy when you fall into all sorts of trials,

1:3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance.

1:4 And let endurance have its perfect effect, so that you will be perfect and complete, not deficient in anything.

1:5 But if anyone is deficient in wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without reprimand, and it will be given to him.

1:6 But he must ask in faith without doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed around by the wind.

1:7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord,

1:8 since he is a double-minded individual, unstable in all his ways.

We must learn to live for the glory of Adonai than our own selfish desires.

James 4

4:4 Adulterers, do you not know that friendship with the world means hostility toward God? So whoever decides to be the world’s friend makes himself God’s enemy.

4:5 Or do you think the scripture means nothing when it says, “The spirit that God caused to live within us has an envious yearning”?

4:6 But he gives greater grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but he gives grace to the humble.”

4:7 So submit to God. But resist the devil and he will flee from you.

4:8 Draw near to God and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and make your hearts pure, you double-minded.

4:9 Grieve, mourn, and weep. Turn your laughter into mourning and your joy into despair.

4:10 Humble yourselves before the Lord and he will exalt you.

BMTF_Cv25_1_25_var.jpg

Double-tongued means not being two-faced, saying one thing or living one way part of the time and another at other times.

1 Timothy 3

3:8 Deacons likewise must be dignified, not two-faced, not given to excessive drinking, not greedy for gain,

3:9 holding to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience.

3:10 And these also must be tested first and then let them serve as deacons if they are found blameless.

3:11 Likewise also their wives must be dignified, not slanderous, temperate, faithful in every respect.

3:12 Deacons must be husbands of one wife and good managers of their children and their own households.

3:13 For those who have served well as deacons gain a good standing for themselves and great boldness in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.

Proverbs 18

18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue,

and those who love its use will eat its fruit.

Ephesians 5

5:6 Let nobody deceive you with empty words, for because of these things God’s wrath comes on the sons of disobedience.

5:7 Therefore do not be partakers with them,

5:8 for you were at one time darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of the light –

5:9 for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness, and truth –

5:10 trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord.

5:11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

5:12 For the things they do in secret are shameful even to mention.

5:13 But all things being exposed by the light are made evident.

5:14 For everything made evident is light, and for this reason it says:

“Awake, O sleeper!

Rise from the dead,

and Christ will shine on you!”

Job 14

15:2 “Does a wise man answer with blustery knowledge,

or fill his belly with the east wind?

15:3 Does he argue with useless talk,

with words that have no value in them?

15:4 But you even break off piety,

and hinder meditation before God.

15:5 Your sin inspires your mouth;

you choose the language of the crafty.

15:6 Your own mouth condemns you, not I;

your own lips testify against you.

Chapter 2

This is one of the best lessons I have learned.

Matthew 6

6:5 “Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward.

6:6 But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you.

6:7 When you pray, do not babble repetitiously like the Gentiles, because they think that by their many words they will be heard.

6:8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

6:9 So pray this way:

Our Father in heaven, may your name be honored,

6:10 may your kingdom come,

may your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

6:11 Give us today our daily bread,

6:12 and forgive us our debts, as we ourselves have forgiven our debtors.

6:13 And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.

6:14 “For if you forgive others their sins, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

6:15 But if you do not forgive others, your Father will not forgive you your sins.

Isaiah 58

59:1 Look, the Lord’s hand is not too weak to deliver you;

his ear is not too deaf to hear you.

59:2 But your sinful acts have alienated you from your God;

your sins have caused him to reject you and not listen to your prayers.

59:3 For your hands are stained with blood

and your fingers with sin;

your lips speak lies,

your tongue utters malicious words.

59:4 No one is concerned about justice;

no one sets forth his case truthfully.

They depend on false words and tell lies;

they conceive of oppression

and give birth to sin.

James 4

4:1 Where do the conflicts and where do the quarrels among you come from? Is it not from this,from your passions that battle inside you?

4:2 You desire and you do not have; you murder and envy and you cannot obtain; you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask;

4:3 you ask and do not receive because you ask wrongly, so you can spend it on your passions.

Luke 12

12:13 Then someone from the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”

12:14 But Jesus said to him, “Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator between you two?”

12:15 Then he said to them, “Watch out and guard yourself from all types of greed, because one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.

12:16 He then told them a parable: “The land of a certain rich man produced an abundant crop,

12:17 so he thought to himself, ‘What should I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’

12:18 Then he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.

12:19 And I will say to myself, “You have plenty of goods stored up for many years; relax, eat, drink, celebrate!”’

12:20 But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded back from you, but who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

12:21 So it is with the one who stores up riches for himself, but is not rich toward God.”

Psalms 34

34:12 Do you want to really live?

Would you love to live a long, happy life?

or use deceptive speech!

Strive for peace and promote it!

34:15 The Lord pays attention to the godly

and hears their cry for help.

34:16 But the Lord opposes evildoers

and wipes out all memory of them from the earth.

Luke 11

11:21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his possessions are safe.

11:22 But when a stronger man attacks and conquers him, he takes away the first man’s armor on which the man relied and divides up his plunder.

11:23 Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

Chapter 2

It is important to look at the past and see the moment when Jesus scolds the Israel's leaders for not recognizing Christ as their king and not living the Lord's Commandments.

Matthew 22

22:41 While the Pharisees were assembled, Jesus asked them a question:

22:42 “What do you think about the Christ? Whose son is he?” They said, “The son of David.

22:43 He said to them, “How then does David by the Spirit call him ‘Lord,’ saying,

22:44 ‘The Lord said to my lord,

“Sit at my right hand,

until I put your enemies under your feet”’?

22:45 If David then calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?

22:46 No one was able to answer him a word, and from that day on no one dared to question him any longer.

23:1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples,

23:2 “The experts in the law and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat.

23:3 Therefore pay attention to what they tell you and do it. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they teach.

23:4 They tie up heavy loads, hard to carry, and put them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing even to lift a finger to move them.

23:5 They do all their deeds to be seen by people, for they make their phylacteries wide and their tassels long.

23:6 They love the place of honor at banquets and the best seats in the synagogues

23:7 and elaborate greetings in the marketplaces, and to have people call them ‘Rabbi.’

23:8 But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher and you are all brothers.

23:9 And call no one your ‘father’ on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.

23:10 Nor are you to be called ‘teacher,’ for you have one teacher, the Christ.

23:11 The greatest among you will be your servant.

23:12 And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

23:13 “But woe to you, experts in the law and you Pharisees, hypocrites! You keep locking people out of the kingdom of heaven! For you neither enter nor permit those trying to enter to go in.

23:14 Woe to you experts in the law and you Pharisees, hypocrites! You devour widows’ property, and as a show you pray long prayers! Therefore you will receive a more severe punishment.

23:15 “Woe to you, experts in the law and you Pharisees, hypocrites! You cross land and sea to make one convert, and when you get one, you make him twice as much a child of hell as yourselves!

23:16 “Woe to you, blind guides, who say, ‘Whoever swears by the temple is bound by nothing. But whoever swears by the gold of the temple is bound by the oath.’

23:17 Blind fools! Which is greater, the gold or the temple that makes the gold sacred?

23:18 And, ‘Whoever swears by the altar is bound by nothing.

23 But if anyone swears by the gift on it he is bound by the oath.’

23:19 You are blind! For which is greater, the gift or the altar that makes the gift sacred?

23:20 So whoever swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it.

23:21 And whoever swears by the temple swears by it and the one who dwells in it.

23:22 And whoever swears by heaven swears by the throne of God and the one who sits on it.

23:23 “Woe to you, experts in the law and you Pharisees, hypocrites! You give a tenth of mint, dill, and cumin, yet you neglect what is more important in the law – justice, mercy, and faithfulness! You should have done these things without neglecting the others.

23:24 Blind guides! You strain out a gnat yet swallow a camel!

23:25 “Woe to you, experts in the law and you Pharisees, hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.

23:26 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup, so that the outside may become clean too!

23:27 “Woe to you, experts in the law and you Pharisees, hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs that look beautiful on the outside but inside are full of the bones of the dead and of everything unclean.

23:28 In the same way, on the outside you look righteous to people, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

23:29 “Woe to you, experts in the law and you Pharisees, hypocrites! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous.

23:30 And you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have participated with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’

23:31 By saying this you testify against yourselves that you are descendants of those who murdered the prophets.

23:32 Fill up then the measure of your ancestors!

23:33 You snakes, you offspring of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

23:34 “For this reason I am sending you prophets and wise men and experts in the law, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town,

23:35 so that on you will come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Barachiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar.

23:36 I tell you the truth, this generation will be held responsible for all these things!

Job 8

8:11 Can the papyrus plant grow tall where there is no marsh?

Can reeds flourish without water?

8:12 While they are still beginning to flower

and not ripe for cutting,

they can wither away

faster than any grass!

8:13 Such is the destiny of all who forget God;

the hope of the godless perishes,

8:14 whose trust is in something futile,

Proverbs 28

28:4 Those who forsake the law praise the wicked,

but those who keep the law contend with them.

28:5 Evil people do not understand justice,

but those who seek the Lord understand it all.

Proverbs 11

11:9 With his speech the godless person destroys his neighbor,

but by knowledge the righteous will be delivered.

John 11

12:1 Then, six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom he had raised from the dead.

12:2 So they prepared a dinner for Jesus there. Martha was serving, and Lazarus was among those present at the table with him.

12:3 Then Mary took three quarters of a pound of expensive aromatic oil from pure nard and anointed the feet of Jesus. She then wiped his feet dry with her hair. (Now the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfumed oil.)

12:4 But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (the one who was going to betray him) said,

12:5 “Why wasn’t this oil sold for three hundred silver coins and the money given to the poor?

12:6 (Now Judas said this not because he was concerned about the poor, but because he was a thief. As keeper of the money box, he used to steal what was put into it.)

12:7 So Jesus said, “Leave her alone. She has kept it for the day of my burial.

12:8 For you will always have the poor with you, but you will not always have me!

Chapter 2

James 1

1:19 Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters! Let every person be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger.

1:20 For human anger does not accomplish God’s righteousness.

1:21 So put away all filth and evil excess and humbly welcome the message implanted within you, which is able to save your souls.

1:22 But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourselves.

1:23 For if someone merely listens to the message and does not live it out, he is like someone who gazes at his own face in a mirror.

1:24 For he gazes at himself and then goes out and immediately forgets what sort of person he was.

1:25 But the one who peers into the perfect law of liberty and fixes his attention there, and does not become a forgetful listener but one who lives it out – he will be blessed in what he does.

1:26 If someone thinks he is religious yet does not bridle his tongue, and so deceives his heart, his religion is futile.

1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their misfortune and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

Think about the above and watch Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson sing "I Feel Pretty."

Proverbs 10

10:19 When words abound, transgression is inevitable, but the one who restrains his words is wise.

Proverbs 13

13:3 The one who guards his words guards his life, but whoever is talkative will come to ruin.

Proverbs 14

14:29 The one who is slow to anger has great understanding, but the one who has a quick temper exalts folly.

Proverbs 15

15:1 A gentle response turns away anger, but a harsh word stirs up wrath.

Proverbs 17

17:27 The truly wise person restrains his words, and the one who stays calm is discerning. 28 Even a fool who remains silent is considered wise, and the one who holds his tongue is deemed discerning.

Proverbs 29

29:11 A fool lets fly with all his temper, but a wise person keeps it back.

Ecclesiastes 7

7:9 Do not let yourself be quickly provoked, for anger resides in the lap of fools

Cains anger compelled him to kill his brother.

Genesis 3

4:1 Now the man had marital relations with his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. Then she said, “I have created a man just as the Lord did!”

4:2 Then she gave birth to his brother Abel. Abel took care of the flocks, while Cain cultivated the ground.

4:3 At the designated time Cain brought some of the fruit of the ground for an offering to the Lord.

4:4 But Abel brought some of the firstborn of his flock – even the fattest of them. And the Lord was pleased with 13 Abel and his offering, 4:5 but with Cain and his offering he was not pleased. So Cain became very angry, and his expression was downcast.

4:6 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry, and why is your expression downcast?

4:7 Is it not true that if you do what is right, you will be fine? 18 But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at the door. It desires to dominate you, but you must subdue it.”

4:8 Cain said to his brother Abel, “Let’s go out to the field.” While they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.

4:9 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?” And he replied, “I don’t know! Am I my brother’s guardian?”

4:10 But the Lord said, “What have you done? The voice of your brother’s blood is crying out to me from the ground!

4:11 So now, you are banished from the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand.

4:12 When you try to cultivate the ground it will no longer yield its best for you. You will be a homeless wanderer on the earth.”

4:13 Then Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is too great to endure!

4:14 Look! You are driving me off the land today, and I must hide from your presence. I will be a homeless wanderer on the earth; whoever finds me will kill me.”

4:15 But the Lord said to him, “All right then, if anyone kills Cain, Cain will be avenged seven times as much.” Then the Lord put a special mark on Cain so that no one who found him would strike him down.

4:16 So Cain went out from the presence of the Lord and lived in the land of Nod, 41 east of Eden.

titiaan_kain_abel_grt.jpg

The Didache
Chapter 2

2:6 Thou shalt not entertain an evil design against thy neighbor.
2:7 {Thou shalt not hate} any man, {but some thou shalt reprove,} and for others thou shalt pray, {and others thou shalt love} more than thy life.

1 John 2

2:7 Dear friends, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word that you have already heard.

2:8 On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you which is true in him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining.

2:9 The one who says he is in the light but still hates his fellow Christian is still in the darkness.

2:10 The one who loves his fellow Christian resides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him.

2:11 But the one who hates his fellow Christian is in the darkness, walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

1 John 3

3:8 The one who practices sin is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was revealed: to destroy the works of the devil.

3:9 Everyone who has been fathered by God does not practice sin, because God’s seed resides in him, and thus he is not able to sin, because he has been fathered by God.

3:10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are revealed: Everyone who does not practice righteousness – the one who does not love his fellow Christian – is not of God.

3:11 For this is the gospel message that you have heard from the beginning: that we should love one another,

3:12 not like Cain who was of the evil one and brutally murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his deeds were evil, but his brother’s were righteous.

3:13 Therefore do not be surprised, brothers and sisters, if the world hates you.

3:14 We know that we have crossed over from death to life because we love our fellow Christians. The one who does not love remains in death.

3:15 Everyone who hates his fellow Christian is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing 55 in him. 3:16 We have come to know love by this: that Jesus laid down his life for us; thus we ought to lay down our lives for our fellow Christians.

3:17 But whoever has the world’s possessions and sees his fellow Christian in need and shuts off his compassion against him, how can the love of God reside in such a person?

Matthew 9

9:1 After getting into a boat he crossed to the other side and came to his own town.

9:2 Just then 2 some people brought to him a paralytic lying on a stretcher. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Have courage, son! Your sins are forgiven.”

9:3 Then some of the experts in the law said to themselves, “This man is blaspheming!”

9:4 When Jesus saw their reaction he said, “Why do you respond with evil in your hearts?

9:5 Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven’ or to say, ‘Stand up and walk’?

9:6 But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins” – then he said to the paralytic – “Stand up, take your stretcher, and go home.”

9:7 And he stood up and went home.

9:8 When 16 the crowd saw this, they were afraid and honored God who had given such authority to men.

Proverbs 2

2:1 My child, if you receive my words,

and store up my commands within you,

2:2 by making your ear attentive to wisdom,

and by turning your heart to understanding,

2:3 indeed, if you call out for discernment –

raise your voice for understanding –

2:4 if you seek it like silver,

and search for it like hidden treasure,

2:5 then you will understand how to fear the Lord,

and you will discover knowledge about God.

2:6 For the Lord gives wisdom,

and from his mouth comes knowledge and understanding.

2:7 He stores up effective counsel for the upright,

and is like a shield for those who live with integrity,

2:8 to guard the paths of the righteous

and to protect the way of his pious ones.

2:9 Then you will understand righteousness and justice

and equity – every good way.

2:10 For wisdom will enter your heart,

and moral knowledge will be attractive to you.

2:11 Discretion will protect you,

understanding will guard you,

2:12 to deliver you from the way of the wicked,

from those speaking perversity,

2:13 who leave the upright paths

to walk on the dark ways,

2:14 who delight in doing evil,

they rejoice in perverse evil;

2:15 whose paths are morally crooked,

and who are devious in their ways;

2:16 to deliver you from the adulteress,

from the sexually loose woman who speaks flattering words;

2:17 who leaves the husband from her younger days,

and forgets her marriage covenant made before God.

2:18 For her house sinks down to death,

and her paths lead to the place of the departed spirits.

2:19 None who go in to her will return,

nor will they reach the paths of life.

2:20 So 78 you will walk in the way of good people,

and will keep on the paths of the righteous.

2:21 For the upright will reside in the land,

and those with integrity will remain in it,

2:22 but the wicked will be removed from the land,

and the treacherous will be torn away from it.

Proverbs 12

12:20 Deceit is in the heart of those who plot evil,

but those who promote peace have joy.

Proverbs 14

14:22 Do not those who devise evil go astray?

But those who plan good exhibit faithful covenant love.

Proverbs 16

16:27 A wicked scoundrel digs up evil,

and his slander is like a scorching fire.

16:28 A perverse person spreads dissension,

and a gossip separates the closest friends.

16:29 A violent person entices his neighbor,

and leads him down a path that is terrible.

16:30 The one who winks his eyes devises perverse things,

and one who compresses his lips brings about evil.

16:31 Gray hair is like a crown of glory;

it is attained in the path of righteousness.

16:32 Better to be slow to anger than to be a mighty warrior,

and one who controls his temper is better than one who captures a city.

Proverbs 24

24:8 The one who plans to do evil
will be called a scheming person.

24:9 A foolish scheme is sin,
and the scorner is an abomination to people.

Psalms 37

37:12 Evil men plot against the godly

and viciously attack them.

37:13 The Lord laughs in disgust at them,

for he knows that their day is coming.

A-G21-A340.jpg

The Didache
Chapter 2

2:7 {Thou shalt not hate} any man, {but some thou shalt reprove,} and for others thou shalt pray, {and others thou shalt love} more than thy life.

Leviticus 19 - The Law

19:17 You must not hate your brother in your heart. You must surely reprove your fellow citizen so that you do not incur sin on account of him.

19:18 You must not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the children of your people, but you must love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.

Psalms 34

34:21 Evil people self-destruct;

those who hate the godly are punished.

34:22 The Lord rescues his servants;

all who take shelter in him escape punishment

John 15

15:23 The one who hates me hates my Father too.

15:24 If I had not performed among them the miraculous deeds that no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen the deeds and have hated both me and my Father.

15:25 Now this happened to fulfill the word that is written in their law, ‘They hated me without reason.

Psalms 35

35:19 Do not let those who are my enemies for no reason gloat over me!

Do not let those who hate me without cause carry out their wicked schemes!

35:20 For they do not try to make peace with others,

but plan ways to deceive those who are unsuspecting.

Psalms 69

69:4 Those who hate me without cause are more numerous than the hairs of my head. Those who want to destroy me, my enemies for no reason, outnumber me. They make me repay what I did not steal!

Titus 3

3:1 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work.

3:2 They must not slander anyone, but be peaceable, gentle, showing complete courtesy to all people.

3:3 For we too were once foolish, disobedient, misled, enslaved to various passions and desires, spending our lives in evil and envy, hateful and hating one another.

3:4 But “when the kindness of God our Savior and his love for mankind appeared,

3:5 he saved us not by works of righteousness that we have done but on the basis of his mercy, through the washing of the new birth and the renewing of the Holy Spirit,

3:6 whom he poured out on us in full measure through Jesus Christ our Savior.

3:7 And so, since we have been justified by his grace, we become heirs with the confident expectation of eternal life.”

Take a break and listen to Rod Taylor sing "Where is Your Love Mankind."

The Didache
Chapter 2

Proverbs 8

9:6 Abandon your foolish ways so that you may live,

and proceed in the way of understanding.”

9:7 Whoever corrects a mocker is asking for insult;

whoever reproves a wicked person receives abuse.

9:8 Do not reprove a mocker or he will hate you;

reprove a wise person and he will love you.

9:9 Give instruction to a wise person, and he will become wiser still;

teach a righteous person and he will add to his learning.

9:10 The beginning of wisdom is to fear the Lord,

and acknowledging the Holy One is understanding.

9:11 For because of me your days will be many,

and years will be added to your life.

9:12 If you are wise, you are wise to your own advantage,

but if you are a mocker, you alone must bear it.

9:13 The woman called Folly is brash,

she is naive and does not know anything.

9:14 So she sits at the door of her house,

on a seat at the highest point of the city,

9:15 calling out to those who are passing by her in the way,

who go straight on their way.

9:16 “Whoever is simple, let him turn in here,”

she says to those who lack understanding.

9:17 “Stolen waters are sweet,

and food obtained in secret is pleasant!”

9:18 But they do not realize that the dead are there,

that her guests are in the depths of the grave.

Proverbs 30

30:5 Every word of God is purified;

he is like a shield for those who take refuge in him.

30:6 Do not add to his words,

lest he reprove you, and prove you to be a liar.

2 Timothy 4

4:1 I solemnly charge you before God and Christ Jesus, who is going to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:

4:2 Preach the message, be ready whether it is convenient or not, reprove, rebuke, exhort with complete patience and instruction.

4:3 For there will be a time when people will not tolerate sound teaching. Instead, following their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves, because they have an insatiable curiosity to hear new things.

4:4 And they will turn away from hearing the truth, but on the other hand they will turn aside to myths.

4:5 You, however, be self-controlled in all things, endure hardship, do an evangelist’s work, fulfill your ministry.

4:6 For I am already being poured out as an offering, and the time for me to depart is at hand.

4:7 I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith!

4:8 Finally the crown of righteousness is reserved for me. The Lord, the righteous Judge, will award it to me in that day – and not to me only, but also to all who have set their affection on his appearing.

Proverbs 15

15:9 The Lord abhors the way of the wicked,

but he loves those who pursue righteousness.

15:10 Severe discipline is for the one who abandons the way;

the one who hates reproof will die.

15:11 Death and Destruction are before the Lord –

how much more the hearts of humans!

15:12 The scorner does not love one who corrects him;

he will not go to the wise.

15:13 A joyful heart makes the face cheerful,

but by a painful heart the spirit is broken.

15:14 The discerning heart seeks knowledge,

but the mouth of fools feeds on folly.

15:15 All the days of the afflicted are bad,

but one with a cheerful heart has a continual feast.

15:16 Better is little with the fear of the Lord

than great wealth and turmoil with it.

John 15

16:1 “I have told you all these things so that you will not fall away.

16:2 They will put you out of the synagogue, yet a time is coming when the one who kills you will think he is offering service to God.

16:3 They will do these things because they have not known the Father or me.

16:4 But I have told you these things so that when their time comes, you will remember that I told you about them.

“I did not tell you these things from the beginning because I was with you.

16:5 But now I am going to the one who sent me, and not one of you is asking me, ‘Where are you going?’

16:6 Instead your hearts are filled with sadness because I have said these things to you.

16:7 But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I am going away. For if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you, but if I go, I will send him to you.

16:8 And when he comes, he will prove the world wrong concerning sin and righteousness and judgment –

16:9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me;

16:10 concerning righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will see me no longer;

16:11 and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been condemned.

16:12 “I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.

16:13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. For he will not speak on his own authority, but will speak whatever he hears, and will tell you what is to come.

16:14 He will glorify me, because he will receive from me what is mine and will tell it to you.

16:15 Everything that the Father has is mine; that is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what is mine and will tell it to you.

16:16 In a little while you will see me no longer; again after a little while, you will see me.”

16:17 Then some of his disciples said to one another, “What is the meaning of what he is saying, ‘In a little while you will not see me; again after a little while, you will see me,’ and, ‘because I am going to the Father’?”

16:18 So they kept on repeating, “What is the meaning of what he says, ‘In a little while’? We do not understand 54 what he is talking about.”

16:19 Jesus could see 56 that they wanted to ask him about these things, so he said to them, “Are you asking each other about this – that I said, ‘In a little while you will not see me; again after a little while, you will see me’?

16:20 I tell you the solemn truth, you will weep and wail, but the world will rejoice; you will be sad, but your sadness will turn into joy.

16:21 When a woman gives birth, she has distress because her time has come, but when her child is born, she no longer remembers the suffering because of her joy that a human being has been born into the world.

16:22 So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you.

16:23 At that time you will ask me nothing. I tell you the solemn truth, whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you.

16:24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive it, so that your joy may be complete.

16:25 “I have told you these things in obscure figures of speech; a time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in obscure figures, but will tell you plainly about the Father.

16:26 At that time you will ask in my name, and I do not say that I will ask the Father on your behalf.

16:27 For the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.

16:28 I came from the Father and entered into the world, but in turn, I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.”

16:29 His disciples said, “Look, now you are speaking plainly and not in obscure figures of speech!

16:30 Now we know that you know everything and do not need anyone to ask you anything. Because of this we believe that you have come from God.”

16:31 Jesus replied, “Do you now believe?

16:32 Look, a time is coming – and has come – when you will be scattered, each one to his own home, and I will be left alone. Yet I am not alone, because my Father is with me.

16:33 I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In the world you have trouble and suffering, but take courage – I have conquered the world.

Proverbs 28

28:23 The one who reproves another will in the end find more favor

than the one who flatters with the tongue.

The Didache
Chapter 2

Psalms 50

50:14 Present to God a thank-offering!

Repay your vows to the sovereign One!

50:15 Pray to me when you are in trouble!

I will deliver you, and you will honor me!

Matthew 6

6:7 When you pray, do not babble repetitiously like the Gentiles, because they think that by their many words they will be heard.

6:8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

6:9 So pray this way:

Our Father in heaven, may your name be honored,

6:10 may your kingdom come,

may your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

6:11 Give us today our daily bread,

6:12 and forgive us our debts, as we ourselves have forgiven our debtors.

6:13 And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.

6:14 “For if you forgive others their sins, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

6:15 But if you do not forgive others, your Father will not forgive you your sins.

James 5

5:13 Is anyone among you suffering? He should pray. Is anyone in good spirits? He should sing praises.

5:14 Is anyone among you ill? He should summon the elders of the church, and they should pray for him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.

5:15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick and the Lord will raise him up – and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

5:16 So confess your sins to one another and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great effectiveness.

5:17 Elijah was a human being like us, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain and there was no rain on the land for three years and six months!

5:18 Then he prayed again, and the sky gave rain and the land sprouted with a harvest.

Matthew 5

5:44 But I say to you, love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you,

5:45 so that you may be like your Father in heaven, since he causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

5:46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Even the tax collectors do the same, don’t they?

5:47 And if you only greet your brothers, what more do you do? Even the Gentiles do the same, don’t they?

5:48 So then, be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Luke 6

6:28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

Luke 10

11:1 Now Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he stopped, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”

11:2 So he said to them, “When you pray, say:

Father, may your name be honored;

may your kingdom come.

11:3 Give us each day our daily bread,

11:4 and forgive us our sins,

for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.

And do not lead us into temptation.”

Proverbs 15

15:8 The Lord abhors the sacrifices of the wicked,

but the prayer of the upright pleases him.

Proverbs 28

28:9 The one who turns away his ear from hearing the law,

even his prayer is an abomination.

Matthew 21

21:18 Now early in the morning, as he returned to the city, he was hungry.

21:19 After noticing a fig tree by the road he went to it, but found nothing on it except leaves. He said to it, “Never again will there be fruit from you!” And the fig tree withered at once.

21:20 When the disciples saw it they were amazed, saying, “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?”

21:21 Jesus answered them, “I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only will you do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen.

21:22 And whatever you ask in prayer, if you believe, you will receive.”

The Didache
Chapter 2

Proverbs 3

3:27 Do not withhold good from those who need it,

when you have the ability to help.

3:28 Do not say to your neighbor, “Go! Return tomorrow

and I will give it,” when you have it with you at the time.

3:29 Do not plot evil against your neighbor

when he dwells by you unsuspectingly.

3:30 Do not accuse anyone without legitimate cause,

if he has not treated you wrongly.

Matthew 10

10:37 “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

10:38 And whoever does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

10:39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life because of me will find it.

Mark 12

12:28 Now one of the experts in the law came and heard them debating. When he saw that Jesus answered them well, he asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?”

12:29 Jesus answered, “The most important is: ‘Listen, Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.

12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’

12:31 The second is: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

12:32 The expert in the law said to him, “That is true, Teacher; you are right to say that he is one, and there is no one else besides him.

12:33 And to love him with all your heart, with all your mind, and with all your strength and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.

12:34 When Jesus saw that he had answered thoughtfully, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” Then no one dared any longer to question him.

John 15

15:12 My commandment is this – to love one another just as I have loved you.

15:13 No one has greater love than this – that one lays down his life for his friends.

15:14 You are my friends if you do what I command you.

15:15 I no longer call you slaves, because the slave does not understand what his master is doing. But I have called you friends, because I have revealed to you everything I heard from my Father.

15:16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that remains, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you.

15:17 This I command you – to love one another.

James 2

2:5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters! Did not God choose the poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom that he promised to those who love him?

2:6 But you have dishonored the poor!

Are not the rich oppressing you and dragging you into the courts?

2:7 Do they not blaspheme the good name of the one you belong to?

2:8 But if you fulfill the royal law as expressed in this scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well.

1 Peter 4

4:7 For the culmination of all things is near. So be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of prayer.

4:8 Above all keep your love for one another fervent, because love covers a multitude of sins.

4:9 Show hospitality to one another without complaining.

4:10 Just as each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of the varied grace of God.

4:11 Whoever speaks, let it be with God’s words. Whoever serves, do so with the strength that God supplies, so that in everything God will be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen

1 Corinthians 12

13:4 Love is patient, love is kind, it is not envious. Love does not brag, it is not puffed up.

13:5 It is not rude, it is not self-serving, it is not easily angered or resentful.

13:6 It is not glad about injustice, but rejoices in the truth.

13:7 It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Psalms 63

63:1 O God, you are my God! I long for you!

My soul thirsts for you,

my flesh yearns for you,

in a dry and parched land where there is no water.

63:2 Yes, in the sanctuary I have seen you,

and witnessed your power and splendor.

63:3 Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,

my lips will praise you.

63:4 For this reason I will praise you while I live;

in your name I will lift up my hands.

63:5 As if with choice meat you satisfy my soul.

My mouth joyfully praises you.

63:6 whenever I remember you on my bed,

and think about you during the nighttime hours.

63:7 For you are my deliverer;

under your wings I rejoice.

63:8 My soul pursues you;

your right hand upholds me.

Psalms 63

63:1 O God, you are my God! I long for you!

My soul thirsts for you,

my flesh yearns for you,

in a dry and parched land where there is no water.

63:2 Yes, in the sanctuary I have seen you,

and witnessed your power and splendor.

63:3 Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,

my lips will praise you.

63:4 For this reason I will praise you while I live;

in your name I will lift up my hands.

63:5 As if with choice meat you satisfy my soul.

My mouth joyfully praises you.

63:6 whenever I remember you on my bed,

and think about you during the nighttime hours.

63:7 For you are my deliverer;

under your wings I rejoice.

63:8 My soul pursues you;

your right hand upholds me.

love_one_another_.jpg

It is a very difficult thing to have the right attitude on how to respond to a another person doing evil without falling into it ourselves.

Chapter 3

3:1 My child, flee from every evil and everything that resembles it

1 Thessalonians

5:22 Stay away from every form of evil.

Psalms 34

34:12 Do you want to really live?

Would you love to live a long, happy life?

or use deceptive speech!

Strive for peace and promote it

Psalms 37

37:27 Turn away from evil! Do what is right!

Then you will enjoy lasting security.

37:28 For the Lord promotes justice,

and never abandons his faithful followers.

Psalms 119

119:101 I stay away from the evil path,

so that I might keep your instructions.

2 Timothy 2

2:19 However, God’s solid foundation remains standing, bearing this seal: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from evil.”

2:20 Now in a wealthy home there are not only gold and silver vessels, but also ones made of wood and of clay, and some are for honorable use, but others for ignoble use.

2:21 So if someone cleanses himself of such behavior, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart, useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.

2:22 But keep away from youthful passions, and pursue righteousness, faithfulness, love, and peace, in company with others who call on the Lord from a pure heart.

2:23 But reject foolish and ignorant controversies, because you know they breed infighting.

2:24 And the Lord’s slave must not engage in heated disputes but be kind toward all, an apt teacher, patient,

2:25 correcting opponents with gentleness. Perhaps God will grant them repentance and then knowledge of the truth

2:26 and they will come to their senses and escape the devil’s trap where they are held captive to do his will.

Proverbs 4

4:23 Guard your heart with all vigilance,

for from it are the sources of life.

4:24 Remove perverse speech from your mouth;

keep devious talk far from your lips.

4:25 Let your eyes look directly in front of you

and let your gaze look straight before you.

4:26 Make the path for your feet level,

so that 58 all your ways may be established.

4:27 Do not turn to the right or to the left;

turn yourself away from evil.

James 4

4:4 Adulterers, do you not know that friendship with the world means hostility toward God? So whoever decides to be the world’s friend makes himself God’s enemy.

4:5 Or do you think the scripture means nothing when it says, “The spirit that God caused to live within us has an envious yearning”?

4:6 But he gives greater grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but he gives grace to the humble.”

4:7 So submit to God. But resist the devil and he will flee from you.

4:8 Draw near to God and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and make your hearts pure, you double-minded.

4:9 Grieve, mourn, and weep. Turn your laughter into mourning and your joy into despair.

4:10 Humble yourselves before the Lord and he will exalt you.

1 Peter 3

3:9 Do not return evil for evil or insult for insult, but instead bless others because you were called to inherit a blessing.

3:10 For the one who wants to love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from uttering deceit.

3:11 And he must turn away from evil and do good;

he must seek peace and pursue it.

3:12 For the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous and his ears are open to their prayer.

Matthew 4

4:1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

4:2 After he fasted forty days and forty nights he was famished.

4:3 The tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become bread."

4:4 But he answered, "It is written, ‘Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

4:5 Then the devil took him to the holy city, had him stand on the highest point of the temple,

4:6 and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down. For it is written, ‘He will command his angels concerning you’ and ‘with their hands they will lift you up, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”

4:7 Jesus said to him, “Once again it is written: ‘You are not to put the Lord your God to the test.’”

4:8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their grandeur.

4:9 And he said to him, “I will give you all these things if you throw yourself to the ground and worship me.”

4:10 Then Jesus said to him, “Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘You are to worship the Lord your God and serve only him.’”

4:11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and began ministering to his needs.

Listen to the upbeat Lyrics of Ajamu, 'Satan is a Liar.'

Murder is only the external manifestation of an internal problem.

Chapter 3

3:2 Be not angry, for anger leadeth to murder, nor jealous nor contentious nor wrathful;

3:3 for of all these things murders are engendered.

Matthew 5

5:21 “You have heard that it was said to an older generation, ‘Do not murder,’ and ‘whoever murders will be subjected to judgment.’

5:22 But I say to you that anyone who is angry with a brother will be subjected to judgment. And whoever insults a brother will be brought before the council, and whoever says ‘Fool’ will be sent to fiery hell.

5:23 So then, if you bring your gift to the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you,

5:24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother and then come and present your gift.

5:25 Reach agreement quickly with your accuser while on the way to court, or he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge hand you over to the warden, and you will be thrown into prison.

5:26 I tell you the truth, you will never get out of there until you have paid the last penny!

Ephesians 4

4:17 So I say this, and insist in the Lord, that you no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking.

4:18 They are darkened in their understanding, being alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardness of their hearts.

4:19 Because they are callous, they have given themselves over to indecency for the practice of every kind of impurity with greediness.

4:20 But you did not learn about Christ like this,

4:21 if indeed you heard about him and were taught in him, just as the truth is in Jesus.

4:22 You were taught with reference to your former way of life to lay aside the old man who is being corrupted in accordance with deceitful desires,

4:23 to be renewed in the spirit of your mind,

4:24 and to put on the new man who has been created in God’s image – in righteousness and holiness that comes from truth.

4:25 Therefore, having laid aside falsehood, each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, 31 for we are members of one another.

4:26 Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on the cause of your anger.

4:27 Do not give the devil an opportunity.

4:28 The one who steals must steal no longer; rather he must labor, doing good with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with the one who has need.

4:29 You must let no unwholesome word come out of your mouth, but only what is beneficial for the building up of the one in need, that it may give grace to those who hear.

4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

4:31 You must put away every kind of bitterness, anger, wrath, quarreling, and evil, slanderous talk. 4:32 Instead,be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ also forgave you.

5:1 Therefore, be imitators of God as dearly loved children

5:2 and live in love, just as Christ also loved us and gave himself for us, a sacrificial and fragrant offering to God.

5:3 But among you there must not be either sexual immorality, impurity of any kind, or greed, as these are not fitting for the saints.

5:4 Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting – all of which are out of character – but rather thanksgiving.

5:5 For you can be confident of this one thing: that no person who is immoral, impure, or greedy (such a person is an idolater) has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

James 1

1:19 Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters! Let every person be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger.

1:20 For human anger does not accomplish God’s righteousness.

1:21 So put away all filth and evil excess and humbly welcome the message implanted within you, which is able to save your souls.

1:22 But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourselves.

David Berkowitz gives his testimony of how God changed his heart.

34:4 I sought the Lord’s help 8 and he answered me;

he delivered me from all my fears.

34:5 Those who look to him for help are happy;

their faces are not ashamed.

34:6 This oppressed man cried out and the Lord heard;

he saved him from all his troubles.

The Didache

Chapter 3

3:4 My child, be not lustful, for lust leads to fornication, neither foul-speaking neither with uplifted eyes;
3:5 for of all these things adulteries are engendered.

Proverbs 6

6:23 For the commandments are like a lamp,

instruction is like a light,

and rebukes of discipline are like the road leading to life,

6:24 by keeping you from the evil woman,

from the smooth tongue of the loose woman.

6:25 Do not lust in your heart for her beauty,

and do not let her captivate you with her alluring eyes;

6:26 for on account of a prostitute one is brought down to a loaf of bread,

but the wife of another man preys on your precious life.

1 John 2

2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him,

2:16 because all that is in the world (the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the arrogance produced by material possessions) is not from the Father, but is from the world.

2:17 And the world is passing away with all its desires, but the person who does the will of God remains forever.

James 1

1:12 Happy is the one who endures testing, because when he has proven to be genuine, he will receive the crown of life that God promised to those who love him.

1:13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted by evil, and he himself tempts no one.

1:14 But each one is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desires.

1:15 Then when desire conceives, it gives birth to sin, and when sin is full grown, it gives birth to death.

appleworm.jpg

1 Peter 4

4:1 So, since Christ suffered in the flesh, you also arm yourselves with the same attitude, because the one who has suffered in the flesh has finished with sin,

4:2 in that he spends the rest of his time on earth concerned about the will of God and not human desires.

4:3 For the time that has passed was sufficient for you to do what the non-Christians desire. You lived then in debauchery, evil desires, drunkenness, carousing, drinking bouts, and wanton idolatries.

4:4 So they are astonished when you do not rush with them into the same flood of wickedness, and they vilify you.

4:5 They will face a reckoning before Jesus Christ who stands ready to judge the living and the dead.

4:6 Now it was for this very purpose that the gospel was preached to those who are now dead, so that though they were judged in the flesh by human standards they may live spiritually by God’s standards.

1 Corinthians 6

6:13 “Food is for the stomach and the stomach is for food, but God will do away with both.” The body is not for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.

6:14 Now God indeed raised the Lord and he will raise us by his power.

6:15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Should I take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never!

6:16 Or do you not know that anyone who is united with a prostitute is one body with her? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.”

6:17 But the one united with the Lord is one spirit with him.

6:18 Flee sexual immorality! “Every sin a person commits is outside of the body” – but the immoral person sins against his own body.

6:19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?

6:20 For you were bought at a price. Therefore glorify God with your body.

Ephesians 4

4:21 if indeed you heard about him and were taught in him, just as the truth is in Jesus.

4:22 You were taught with reference to your former way of life to lay aside the old man who is being corrupted in accordance with deceitful desires,

4:23 to be renewed in the spirit of your mind,

4:24 and to put on the new man who has been created in God’s image – in righteousness and holiness that comes from truth.

2 Peter 2

2:4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but threw them into hell and locked them up in chains in utter darkness, to be kept until the judgment,

2:5 and if he did not spare the ancient world, but did protect Noah, a herald of righteousness, along with seven others, when God brought a flood on an ungodly world,

2:6 and if he turned to ashes the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah when he condemned them to destruction, having appointed them to serve as an example to future generations of the ungodly,

2:7 and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man in anguish over the debauched lifestyle of lawless men,

2:8 (for while he lived among them day after day, that righteous man was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)

2:9 – if so, then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from their trials, and to reserve the unrighteous for punishment at the day of judgment,

2:10 especially those who indulge their fleshly desires 34 and who despise authority. Brazen and insolent, they are not afraid to insult the glorious ones,

2:11 yet even 38 angels, who are much more powerful, do not bring a slanderous judgment against them before the Lord.

2:12 But these men, like irrational animals – creatures of instinct, born to be caught and destroyed – do not understand whom they are insulting, and consequently in their destruction they will be destroyed,

2:13 suffering harm as the wages for their harmful ways. By considering it a pleasure to carouse in broad daylight, they are stains and blemishes, indulging in their deceitful pleasures when they feast together with you.

2:14 Their eyes, full of adultery, never stop sinning; they entice unstable people. They have trained their hearts for greed, these cursed children!

2:15 By forsaking the right path they have gone astray, because they followed the way of Balaam son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness,

2:16 yet was rebuked for his own transgression (a dumb donkey, speaking with a human voice, restrained the prophet’s madness).

2:17 These men are waterless springs and mists driven by a storm, for whom the utter depths of darkness have been reserved.

2:18 For by speaking high-sounding but empty words they are able to entice, with fleshly desires and with debauchery, people who have just escaped from those who reside in error.

2:19 Although these false teachers promise such people freedom, they themselves are enslaved to immorality. For whatever a person succumbs to, to that he is enslaved.

2:20 For if after they have escaped the filthy things of the world through the rich knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they again get entangled in them and succumb to them, their last state has become worse for them than their first.

2:21 For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than, having known it, to turn back from the holy commandment that had been delivered to them.

2:22 They are illustrations of this true proverb: “A dog returns to its own vomit,” and “A sow, after washing herself, wallows in the mire.”

John 8

8:41 Then they said to Jesus, “We were not born as a result of immorality! 97 We have only one Father, God himself.”

8:42 Jesus replied, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come from God and am now here. I have not come on my own initiative, but he sent me.

8:43 Why don’t you understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot accept my teaching.

8:44 You people are from your father the devil, and you want to do what your father desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not uphold the truth, because there is no truth in him. Whenever he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of lies.

8:45 But because I am telling you the truth, you do not believe me.

1 Timothy 1

1:8 But we know that the law is good if someone uses it legitimately,

1:9 realizing that law is not intended for a righteous person, but for lawless and rebellious people, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,

1:10 sexually immoral people, practicing homosexuals, kidnappers, liars, perjurers – in fact, for any who live contrary to sound teaching.

1:11 This accords with the glorious gospel of the blessed God that was entrusted to me.

The Didache

Chapter 3

3:4 My child, be not lustful, for lust leads to fornication, neither foul-speaking neither with uplifted eyes;

Matthew 12

12:33 “Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is known by its fruit.

12:34 Offspring of vipers! How are you able to say anything good, since you are evil? For the mouth speaks from what fills the heart.

12:35 The good person brings good things out of his good treasury, and the evil person brings evil things out of his evil treasury.

12:36 I tell you that on the day of judgment, people will give an account for every worthless word they speak.

12:37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Luke 4

4:33 Now in the synagogue there was a man who had the spirit of an unclean demon, and he cried out with a loud voice,

4:34 “Ha! Leave us alone, Jesus the Nazarene! Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are – the Holy One of God.”

4:35 But Jesus rebuked him:“Silence! Come out of him!” Then, after the demon threw the man down in their midst, he came out of him without hurting him.

4:36 They were all amazed and began to say to one another, “What’s happening here? For with authority and power he commands the unclean spirits, and they come out!”

4:37 So the news about him spread into all areas of the region.

Galatians 5

5:19 Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, depravity,

5:20 idolatry, sorcery, hostilities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish rivalries, dissensions, factions,

5:21 envying, murder, drunkenness, carousing, and similar things. I am warning you, as I had warned you before: Those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God!

1 Corinthians 6

6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! The sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, passive homosexual partners, practicing homosexuals,

6:10 thieves, the greedy, drunkards, the verbally abusive, and swindlers will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Colossians 4

4:5 Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunities.

4:6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you should answer everyone.

Proverbs 4

4:23 Guard your heart with all vigilance,

for from it are the sources of life.

4:24 Remove perverse speech from your mouth;

keep devious talk far from your lips.

4:25 Let your eyes look directly in front of you

and let your gaze look straight before you.

4:26 Make the path for your feet level,

so that 58 all your ways may be established.

4:27 Do not turn to the right or to the left;

turn yourself 61 away from evil.

Admonition to Avoid Seduction to Evil

5:1 My child, be attentive to my wisdom,

pay close attention to my understanding,

5:2 in order to safeguard discretion,

and that your lips may guard knowledge.

5:3 For the lips of the adulterous woman drip honey,

and her seductive words are smoother than olive oil,

5:4 but in the end she is bitter as wormwood,

sharp as a two-edged sword.

5:5 Her feet go down to death;

her steps lead straight to the grave.

5:6 Lest 13 she should make level the path leading to life,

her paths are unstable but she does not know it.

5:7 So now, children, listen to me;

do not turn aside from the words I speak.

5:8 Keep yourself far from her,

and do not go near the door of her house,

5:9 lest you give your vigor to others

and your years to a cruel person,

5:10 lest strangers devour your strength,

and your labor benefit another man’s house.

5:11 And at the end of your life you will groan

when your flesh and your body are wasted away.

5:12 And you will say, “How I hated discipline!

My heart spurned reproof!

5:13 For I did not obey my teachers

and I did not heed my instructors.

5:14 I almost came to complete ruin

in the midst of the whole congregation!”

Proverbs 6

6:12 A worthless and wicked person

walks around saying perverse things;

6:13 he winks with his eyes,

signals with his feet,

and points with his fingers;

6:14 he plots evil with perverse thoughts in his heart,

he spreads contention at all times.

6:15 Therefore, his disaster will come suddenly;

in an instant he will be broken, and there will be no remedy.

6:16 There are six things that the Lord hates,

even seven things that are an abomination to him:

6:17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue,

and hands that shed innocent blood,

6:18 a heart that devises wicked plans,

feet that are swift to run to evil,

6:19 a false witness who pours out lies,

and a person who spreads discord among family members.

Proverbs 10

10:31 The speech of the righteous bears the fruit of wisdom,

but the one who speaks perversion will be destroyed.

10:32 The lips of the righteous know what is pleasing,

but the speech of the wicked is perverse.

11:1 The Lord abhors dishonest scales,

but an accurate weight is his delight.

11:2 When pride comes, then comes disgrace,

but with humility comes wisdom.

11:3 The integrity of the upright guides them,

but the crookedness of the unfaithful destroys them.

11:4 Wealth does not profit in the day of wrath,

but righteousness delivers from mortal danger.

11:5 The righteousness of the blameless will make straight their way,

but the wicked person will fall by his own wickedness.

11:6 The righteousness of the upright will deliver them,

but the faithless will be captured by their own desires.

11:7 When a wicked person dies, his expectation perishes,

and the hope of his strength perishes.

11:8 The righteous person is delivered out of trouble,

and the wicked turns up in his stead.

11:9 With his speech the godless person destroys his neighbor,

but by knowledge the righteous will be delivered.

11:10 When the righteous do well, the city rejoices;

when the wicked perish, there is joy.

11:11 A city is exalted by the blessing provided from 29 the upright,

but it is destroyed by the counsel of the wicked.

11:12 The one who denounces his neighbor lacks wisdom,

but the one who has discernment keeps silent.

11:13 The one who goes about slandering others reveals secrets,

but the one who is trustworthy conceals a matter.

Proverbs 31

31:8 Open your mouth on behalf of those unable to speak,

for the legal rights of all the dying.

31:9 Open your mouth, judge in righteousness,

and plead the cause of the poor and needy.

Don't be afraid, Jesus is with you, and his love conquers all. Take a break and watch The Afters perform, "Light up the Sky."

The Didache

Chapter 3

Matthew 6

6:22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If then your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light.

6:23 But if your eye is diseased, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!

Mark 9

9:47 If your eye causes you to sin, tear it out! It is better to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell,

1 John 2

2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him,

2:16 because all that is in the world (the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the arrogance produced by material possessions) is not from the Father, but is from the world.

2:17 And the world is passing away with all its desires, but the person who does the will of God remains forever.

Proverbs 27

27:20 As Death and Destruction are never satisfied,

so the eyes of a person are never satisfied.

Job 24

24:15 And the eye of the adulterer watches for the twilight,

thinking, ‘No eye can see me,’

and covers his face with a mask.

http://youtu.be/JTwRRwUb4IE

Genesis 3

3:1 Now the serpent was more shrewd than any of the wild animals that the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Is it really true that God said, ‘You must not eat from any tree of the orchard’?”

3:2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit from the trees of the orchard;

3:3 but concerning the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the orchard God said, ‘You must not eat from it, and you must not touch it, or else you will die.’”

3:4 The serpent said to the woman, “Surely you will not die,

3:5 for God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will open and you will be like divine beings who know good and evil.

3:6 When the woman saw that the tree produced fruit that was good for food, was attractive to the eye, and was desirable for making one wise, she took some of its fruit and ate it. She also gave some of it to her husband who was with her, and he ate it.

3:7 Then the eyes of both of them opened, and they knew they were unclothed; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

"My Wife and My Mother-in-Law"

William Ely Hill - Illustration 1915

the cartoonist W.E. Hill. Even experienced psychologists can sometimes find this hard. One clue - the chin of the young woman becomes the nose of the old lady.

640px-My_Wife_and_My_Mother-in-Law.jpg

Watch this beautifully done animation of Adam and Eve.

Romans 1

1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth by their unrighteousness,

1:19 because what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.

1:20 For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, because they are understood through what has been made. So people are without excuse.

1:21 For although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God or give him thanks, but they became futile in their thoughts and their senseless hearts were darkened.

1:22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools

1:23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for an image resembling mortal human beings or birds or four-footed animals or reptiles.

1:24 Therefore God gave them over in the desires of their hearts to impurity, to dishonor their bodies among themselves.

1:25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and worshiped and served the creation rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

1:26 For this reason God gave them over to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged the natural sexual relations for unnatural ones,

1:27 and likewise the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed in their passions for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

1:28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done.

1:29 They are filled with every kind of unrighteousness, wickedness, covetousness, malice. They are rife with envy, murder, strife, deceit, hostility. They are gossips,

1:30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, contrivers of all sorts of evil, disobedient to parents,

1:31 senseless, covenant-breakers, heartless, ruthless.

1:32 Although they fully know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but also approve of those who practice them.

3ef7363f7399e2ee7c1faadbb6515c90dc3f51b7

Chapter 3

3:6 My child, {be no dealer in omens,} since it leads to idolatry, nor an enchanter nor an astrologer nor a magician, neither be willing to look at them;

3:7 for from all these things idolatry is engendered.

Leviticus 19

19:26 You must not eat anything with the blood still in it. You must not practice either divination or soothsaying.

Deuteronomy 18

18:10 There must never be found among you anyone who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, anyone who practices divination, an omen reader, a soothsayer, a sorcerer,

18:11 one who casts spells, one who conjures up spirits, a practitioner of the occult, or a necromancer.

18:12 Whoever does these things is abhorrent to the Lord and because of these detestable things the Lord your God is about to drive them out from before you.

Hosea 5

5:3 I know Ephraim all too well;

the evil of Israel is not hidden from me.

For you have engaged in prostitution, O Ephraim;

Israel has defiled itself.

5:4 Their wicked deeds do not allow them to return to their God;

because a spirit of idolatry controls their heart,

and they do not acknowledge the Lord.

Ephesians 4

5:5 For you can be confident of this one thing: that no person who is immoral, impure, or greedy (such a person is an idolater) has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Isaiah 42

42:8 I am the Lord! That is my name!

I will not share my glory with anyone else,

or the praise due me with idols.

Hosea 4

4:11 Old and new wine

take away the understanding of my people.

4:12 They consult their wooden idols,

and their diviner’s staff answers with an oracle.

The wind of prostitution blows them astray;

they commit spiritual adultery against their God.

4:13 They sacrifice on the mountaintops,

and burn offerings on the hills;

they sacrifice under oak, poplar, and terebinth,

because their shade is so pleasant.

As a result, your daughters have become cult prostitutes,

and your daughters-in-law commit adultery!

4:14 I will not punish your daughters when they commit prostitution,

nor your daughters-in-law when they commit adultery.

For the men consort with harlots,

they sacrifice with temple prostitutes.

It is true: “A people that lacks understanding will come to ruin!”

It can be difficult to cast off the spell of a black magic woman.

The Devil wants you to desire the magic of creation.

Revelation 21

21:6 He also said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the one who is thirsty I will give water free of charge from the spring of the water of life.

21:7 The one who conquers will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be my son.

21:8 But to the cowards, unbelievers, detestable persons, murderers, the sexually immoral, and those who practice magic spells, idol worshipers, and all those who lie, their place will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. That is the second death.”

Exodus 20

20:4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above or that is on the earth beneath or that is in the water below.

20:5 You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I, the Lord, your God, am a jealous God, responding to the transgression of fathers by dealing with children to the third and fourth generations of those who reject me,

20:6 and showing covenant faithfulness to a thousand generations 19 of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Leviticus 26

26:1 “‘You must not make for yourselves idols, so you must not set up for yourselves a carved image or a pillar, and you must not place a sculpted stone in your land to bow down before it, for I am the Lord your God.

26:2 You must keep my Sabbaths and reverence my sanctuary. I am the Lord.

Chapter 3

3:8 My child, be not a liar, since lying leads to theft, neither avaricious neither vainglorious;

3:9 for from all these things thefts are engendered.

1 Timothy 4

4:1 Now the Spirit explicitly says that in the later times some will desert the faith and occupy themselves with deceiving spirits and demonic teachings,

4:2 influenced by the hypocrisy of liars whose consciences are seared.

4:3 They will prohibit marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.

1 John 2

2:3 Now by this we know that we have come to know God: if we keep his commandments.

2:4 The one who says “I have come to know God” and yet does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in such a person.

2:5 But whoever obeys his word, truly in this person the love of God has been perfected. By this we know that we are in him.

2:6 The one who says he resides in God ought himself to walk just as Jesus walked.

2:7 Dear friends, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word that you have already heard.

2:8 On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you which is true in him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining.

2:9 The one who says he is in the light but still hates his fellow Christian is still in the darkness.

2:10 The one who loves his fellow Christian resides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him.

2:11 But the one who hates his fellow Christian is in the darkness, walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

1 John 2

2:22 Who is the liar but the person who denies that Jesus is the Christ. This one is the antichrist: the person who denies the Father and the Son.

2:23 Everyone who denies the Son does not have the Father either. The person who confesses the Son has the Father also.

Proverbs 10

10:18 The one who conceals hatred utters lies,

and the one who spreads slander is certainly a fool.

10:19 When words abound, transgression is inevitable,

but the one who restrains his words is wise.

Proverbs 12

12:13 The evil person is ensnared by the transgression of his speech,

but the righteous person escapes out of trouble.

12:14 A person will be satisfied with good from the fruit of his words,

and the work of his hands will be rendered to him.

12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own opinion,

but the one who listens to advice is wise.

12:16 A fool’s annoyance is known at once,

but the prudent overlooks an insult.

12:17 The faithful witness tells what is right,

but a false witness speaks deceit.

12:18 Speaking recklessly is like the thrusts of a sword,

but the words of the wise bring healing.

12:19 The one who tells the truth will endure forever,

but the one who lies will last only for a moment.

12:21 The righteous do not encounter any harm,

but the wicked are filled with calamity.

12:22 The Lord abhors a person who lies,

but those who deal truthfully are his delight.

12:23 The shrewd person conceals knowledge,

but foolish people publicize folly.

Proverbs 31

31:30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is fleeting,

but a woman who fears the Lord will be praised.

31:31 Give her credit for what she has accomplished,

and let her works praise her in the city gates.

Psalms 36

An evil man is rebellious to the core.

He does not fear God,

36:2 for he is too proud

to recognize and give up his sin.

36:3 The words he speaks are sinful and deceitful;

he does not care about doing what is wise and right.

36:4 He plans ways to sin while he lies in bed;

he is committed to a sinful lifestyle;

he does not reject what is evil.

The Didache - Teaching

Chapter 3

3:10 My child, be not a murmurer, since it leadeth to blasphemy, neither self-willed neither a thinker of evil thoughts;

3:11 for from all these things blasphemies are engendered.

John 6

6:41 Then the Jews who were hostile to Jesus began complaining about him because he said, I am the bread that came down from heaven,

6:42 and they said, Isn't this Jesus the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, I have come down from heaven?

6:43 Jesus replied, Do not complain about me to one another.

6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.

6:45 It is written in the prophets, And they will all be taught by God. Everyone who hears and learns from the Father comes to me.

6:46 (Not that anyone has seen the Father except the one who is from God he has seen the Father.)

6:47 I tell you the solemn truth, the one who believes has eternal life.

6:48 I am the bread of life.

6:49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.

6:50 This is the bread that has come down from heaven, so that a person may eat from it and not die.

6:51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats from this bread he will live forever. The bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.

James 5

5:9 Do not grumble against one another, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be judged. See, the judge stands before the gates!

5:10 As an example of suffering and patience, brothers and sisters, take the prophets who spoke in the Lords name.

5:11 Think of how we regard as blessed those who have endured. You have heard of Jobs endurance and you have seen the Lords purpose, that the Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

5:12 And above all, my brothers and sisters, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath. But let your Yes be yes and your No be no, so that you may not fall into judgment.

Jude 1

1:14 Now Enoch, the seventh in descent beginning with Adam, even prophesied of them, saying, Look! The Lord is coming with thousands and thousands of his holy ones,

1:15 to execute judgment on all, and to convict every person of all their thoroughly ungodly deeds that they have committed, and of all the harsh words that ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

1:16 These people are grumblers and fault-finders who go wherever their desires lead them, and they give bombastic speeches, enchanting folks for their own gain.

Philippians 2

2:13 for the one bringing forth in you both the desire and the effort for the sake of his good pleasure is God.

2:14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing,

2:15 so that you may be blameless and pure, children of God without blemish though you live in a crooked and perverse society, in which you shine as lights in the world

Alcohol is not good for one in bad spirits.

Proverbs 23

23:29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow?

Who has contentions? Who has complaints?

Who has wounds without cause? Who has dullness of the eyes?

23:30 Those who linger over wine,

those who go looking for mixed wine.

23:31 Do not look on the wine when it is red,

when it sparkles in the cup,

when it goes down smoothly.

23:32 Afterward it bites like a snake,

and stings like a viper.

23:33 Your eyes will see strange things,

and your mind will speak perverse things.

23:34 And you will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea,

and like one who lies down on the top of the rigging.

23:35 You will say, They have struck me, but I am not harmed!

They beat me, but I did not know it!

When will I awake? I will look for another drink.

Numbers 11

11:1 When the people complained, it displeased the Lord. When the Lord heard it, his anger burned, and so the fire of the Lord burned among them and consumed some of the outer parts of the camp.

11:2 When the people cried to Moses, he prayed to the Lord, and the fire died out.

11:3 So he called the name of that place Taberah because there the fire of the Lord burned among them.

Numbers 14

14:11 The Lord said to Moses, How long will this people despise me, and how long will they not believe in me, in spite of the signs that I have done among them?

14:12 I will strike them with the pestilence, and I will disinherit them; I will make you into a nation that is greater and mightier than they!

Exodus 16

16:8 Moses said, You will know this when the Lord gives you meat to eat in the evening and bread in the morning to satisfy you, because the Lord has heard your murmurings that you are murmuring against him. As for us, what are we? Your murmurings are not against us, but against the Lord.

16:9 Then Moses said to Aaron, Tell the whole community of the Israelites, Come 25 before the Lord, because he has heard your murmurings.

16:10 As Aaron spoke to the whole community of the Israelites and they looked toward the desert, there the glory of the Lord appeared in the cloud,

16:11 and the Lord spoke to Moses:

16:12 I have heard the murmurings of the Israelites. Tell them, During the evening you will eat meat, and in the morning you will be satisfied with bread, so that you may know that I am the Lord your God.

16:13 In the evening the quail came up and covered the camp, and in the morning a layer of dew was all around the camp.

16:14 When the layer of dew had evaporated, there on the surface of the desert was a thin flaky substance, thin like frost on the earth.

16:15 When the Israelites saw it, they said to one another, What is it? because they did not know what it was. Moses said to them, It is the bread that the Lord has given you for food.

Isaiah 58

58:3 They lament, ‘Why don’t you notice when we fast?

Why don’t you pay attention when we humble ourselves?’

Look, at the same time you fast, you satisfy your selfish desires,

you oppress your workers.

58:4 Look, your fasting is accompanied by arguments, brawls,

and fistfights.

Do not fast as you do today,

trying to make your voice heard in heaven.

58:5 Is this really the kind of fasting I want?

Do I want a day when people merely humble themselves,

bowing their heads like a reed

and stretching out on sackcloth and ashes?

Is this really what you call a fast,

a day that is pleasing to the Lord?

58:6 No, this is the kind of fast I want.

I want you to remove the sinful chains,

to tear away the ropes of the burdensome yoke,

to set free the oppressed,

and to break every burdensome yoke.

58:7 I want you 15 to share your food with the hungry

and to provide shelter for homeless, oppressed people.

When you see someone unclothed, clothe him!

Don’t turn your back on your own flesh and blood!

58:8 Then your light will shine like the sunrise;

your restoration will quickly arrive;

your godly behavior will go before you,

and the Lord’s splendor will be your rear guard.

58:9 Then you will call out, and the Lord will respond;

you will cry out, and he will reply, ‘Here I am.’

You must remove the burdensome yoke from among you

and stop pointing fingers and speaking sinfully.

58:10 You must actively help the hungry

and feed the oppressed.

Then your light will dispel the darkness,

and your darkness will be transformed into noonday.

58:11 The Lord will continually lead you;

he will feed you even in parched regions.

He will give you renewed strength,

and you will be like a well-watered garden,

like a spring that continually produces water.

58:12 Your perpetual ruins will be rebuilt;

you will reestablish the ancient foundations.

You will be called, ‘The one who repairs broken walls,

the one who makes the streets inhabitable again.’

58:13 You must observe the Sabbath

rather than doing anything you please on my holy day.

You must look forward to the Sabbath

and treat the Lord’s holy day with respect.

You must treat it with respect by refraining from your normal activities,

and by refraining from your selfish pursuits and from making business deals.

58:14 Then you will find joy in your relationship to the Lord,

and I will give you great prosperity,

and cause crops to grow on the land I gave to your ancestor Jacob.”

Know for certain that the Lord has spoken.

Listen to The Cathedral Quartet sing Hide Thou Me

Chapter 3

3:10 My child, be not a murmurer, since it leadeth to blasphemy, neither self-willed neither a thinker of evil thoughts;

Titus 1

1:6 An elder must be blameless, the husband of one wife, with faithful children who cannot be charged with dissipation or rebellion.

1:7 For the overseer must be blameless as one entrusted with Gods work, not arrogant, not prone to anger, not a drunkard, not violent, not greedy for gain.

1:8 Instead he must be hospitable, devoted to what is good, sensible, upright, devout, and self-controlled.

1:9 He must hold firmly to the faithful message as it has been taught, so that he will be able to give exhortation in such healthy teaching and correct those who speak against it.

2 Peter 2

2:9 the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from their trials, and to reserve the unrighteous for punishment at the day of judgment,

2:10 especially those who indulge their fleshly desires and who despise authority.

Brazen and insolent, they are not afraid to insult the glorious ones,

2:11 yet even angels, who are much more powerful, do not bring a slanderous judgment against them before the Lord.

2:12 But these men, like irrational animals creatures of instinct, born to be caught and destroyed do not understand whom they are insulting, and consequently in their destruction they will be destroyed,

2:13 suffering harm as the wages for their harmful ways.

Proverbs 15

15:1 A gentle response turns away anger,

but a harsh word stirs up wrath.

15:2 The tongue of the wise treats knowledge correctly,

but the mouth of the fool spouts out folly.

15:3 The eyes of the Lord are in every place,

keeping watch on those who are evil and those who are good.

15:4 Speech that heals is like a life-giving tree,

but a perverse tongue breaks the spirit.

15:5 A fool rejects his fathers discipline,

but whoever heeds reproof shows good sense.

15:6 In the house of the righteous is abundant wealth,

but the income of the wicked brings trouble.

15:7 The lips of the wise spread knowledge,

but not so the heart of fools.

15:8 The Lord abhors the sacrifices of the wicked,

but the prayer of the upright pleases him.

15:9 The Lord abhors the way of the wicked,

but he loves those who pursue righteousness.

15:10 Severe discipline is for the one who abandons the way;

the one who hates reproof will die.

15:11 Death and Destruction are before the Lord

how much more the hearts of humans!

15:12 The scorner does not love one who corrects him;

he will not go to the wise.

15:13 A joyful heart makes the face cheerful,

but by a painful heart the spirit is broken.

15:14 The discerning heart seeks knowledge,

but the mouth of fools feeds on folly.

15:15 All the days of the afflicted are bad,

but one with a cheerful heart has a continual feast.

15:16 Better is little with the fear of the Lord

than great wealth and turmoil with it.

15:17 Better a meal of vegetables where there is love

than a fattened ox where there is hatred.

15:18 A quick-tempered person stirs up dissension,

but one who is slow to anger calms a quarrel.

15:19 The way of the sluggard is like a hedge of thorns,

but the path of the upright is like 54 a highway.

15:20 A wise child brings joy to his father,

but a foolish person despises his mother.

15:21 Folly is a joy to one who lacks sense,

but one who has understanding 60 follows an upright course.

15:22 Plans fail when there is no counsel,

but with abundant advisers they are established.

15:23 A person has joy in giving an appropriate answer,

and a word at the right time how good it is!

15:24 The path of life is upward for the wise person,

to 69 keep him from going downward to Sheol.

15:25 The Lord tears down the house of the proud,

but he maintains the boundaries of the widow.

15:26 The Lord abhors the plans 74 of the wicked,

but pleasant words are pure.

15:27 The one who is greedy for gain troubles his household,

but whoever hates bribes will live.

15:28 The heart of the righteous considers how to answer,

but the mouth of the wicked pours out evil things.

15:29 The Lord is far from the wicked,

but he hears the prayer of the righteous.

15:30 A bright look brings joy to the heart,

and good news gives health to the body.

15:31 The person who hears the reproof that leads to life

is at home among the wise.

15:32 The one who refuses correction despises himself,

but whoever hears reproof acquires understanding.

15:33 The fear of the Lord provides wise instruction,

and before honor comes humility.

16:1 The intentions of the heart belong to a man,

but the answer of the tongue comes from the Lord.

16:2 All a persons ways seem right in his own opinion,

but the Lord evaluates the motives.

16:3 Commit your works to the Lord,

and your plans will be established.

16:4 The Lord works everything for its own ends

even the wicked for the day of disaster.

16:5 The Lord abhors every arrogant person;

rest assured that they will not go unpunished.

16:6 Through loyal love and truth iniquity is appeased;

through fearing the Lord one avoids evil.

16:7 When a persons ways are pleasing to the Lord,

he even reconciles his enemies to himself.

16:8 Better to have a little with righteousness

than to have abundant income without justice.

16:9 A person plans his course,

but the Lord directs his steps.

Chapter 3

Colossians 3

3:2 Keep thinking about things above, not things on the earth,

3:3 for you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

3:4 When Christ (who is your life) appears, then you too will be revealed in glory with him.

3:5 So put to death whatever in your nature belongs to the earth: sexual immorality, impurity, shameful passion, evil desire, and greed which is idolatry.

3:6 Because of these things the wrath of God is coming on the sons of disobedience.

3:7 You also lived your lives in this way at one time, when you used to live among them.

3:8 But now, put off all such things as anger, rage, malice, slander, abusive language from your mouth.

3:9 Do not lie to one another since you have put off the old man with its practices

3:10 and have been clothed with the new man that is being renewed in knowledge according to the image of the one who created it.

3:11 Here there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all and in all.

Galations 5

5:24 Now those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

5:25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also behave in accordance with the Spirit.

5:26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, being jealous of one another.

6:1 Brothers and sisters, if a person is discovered in some sin, you who are spiritual restore such a person in a spirit of gentleness. Pay close attention to yourselves, so that you are not tempted too.

6:2 Carry one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

6:3 For if anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.

6:4 Let each one examine his own work. Then he can take pride in himself and not compare himself with someone else.

6:5 For each one will carry his own load.

Romans 1

1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth by their unrighteousness,

1:19 because what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.

1:20 For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, because they are understood through what has been made. So people are without excuse.

1:21 For although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God or give him thanks, but they became futile in their thoughts and their senseless hearts were darkened.

1:22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools

1:23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for an image resembling mortal human beings or birds or four-footed animals or reptiles.

1:24 Therefore God gave them over in the desires of their hearts to impurity, to dishonor their bodies among themselves.

1:25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and worshiped and served the creation rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

1:26 For this reason God gave them over to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged the natural sexual relations for unnatural ones,

1:27 and likewise the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed in their passions for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

1:28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done.

1:29 They are filled with every kind of unrighteousness, wickedness, covetousness, malice. They are rife with envy, murder, strife, deceit, hostility. They are gossips,

1:30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, contrivers of all sorts of evil, disobedient to parents,

1:31 senseless, covenant-breakers, heartless, ruthless.

1:32 Although they fully know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but also approve of those who practice them.

Romans 11

11:30 Just as you were formerly disobedient to God, but have now received mercy due to their disobedience,

11:31 so they too have now been disobedient in order that, by the mercy shown to you, they too may now receive mercy.

11:32 For God has consigned all people to disobedience so that he may show mercy to them all.

Psalms 1

1:1 How blessed is the one who does not follow the advice of the wicked,

or stand in the pathway with sinners,

or sit in the assembly of scoffers!

1:2 Instead he finds pleasure in obeying the Lord’s commands;

he meditates on his commands day and night.

1:3 He is like a tree planted by flowing streams;

it yields its fruit at the proper time,

and its leaves never fall off.

He succeeds in everything he attempts.

1:4 Not so with the wicked!

Instead they are like wind-driven chaff.

1:5 For this reason the wicked cannot withstand judgment,

nor can sinners join the assembly of the godly.

1:6 Certainly the Lord guards the way of the godly,

but the way of the wicked ends in destruction.

Proverbs 12

12:13 The evil person is ensnared by the transgression of his speech,

but the righteous person escapes out of trouble.

12:14 A person will be satisfied with good from the fruit of his words,

and the work of his hands will be rendered to him.

12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own opinion,

but the one who listens to advice is wise.

12:21 The righteous do not encounter any harm,

but the wicked are filled with calamity.

Proverbs 14

14:16 A wise person is cautious and turns from evil,

but a fool throws off restraint and is overconfident.

14:17 A person who has a quick temper does foolish things,

and a person with crafty schemes is hated.

14:18 The naive inherit folly,

but the shrewd are crowned with knowledge.

Proverbs 30

30:32 If you have done foolishly by exalting yourself

or if you have planned evil,

put 76 your hand over your mouth!

30:33 For as the churning of milk produces butter

and as punching the nose produces blood,

so stirring up anger produces strife

Matthew 12

12:30 Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

12:31 For this reason I tell you, people will be forgiven for every sin and blasphemy, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

12:32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven. But whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

I wonder if what meant by this passage of the Gospel of Matthew that is forgivable to speak against Jesus the man. But, one that speaks against the Spirit of Yahweh is eternally condemned.

Atonement brings peace to those have been wronged. Watch this tragic story, but beautiful story and then read the above scripture again. Make a list of those that have hurt you and forgive them.

Forgiveness - The Greatest Gift

“If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.” - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Chapter 3

John 3

3:1 Now a certain man, a Pharisee named Nicodemus, who was a member of the Jewish ruling council,

3:2 came to Jesus at night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs that you do unless God is with him.”

3:3 Jesus replied, 6 “I tell you the solemn truth, unless a person is born from above, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

3:4 Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter his mother’s womb and be born a second time, can he?”

3:5 Jesus answered, “I tell you the solemn truth, unless a person is born of water and spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

3:6 What is born of the flesh is flesh, and what is born of the Spirit is spirit.

3:7 Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must all be born from above.’

3:8 The wind blows wherever it will, and you hear the sound it makes, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

3:9 Nicodemus replied, “How can these things be?”

3:10 Jesus answered, “Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you don’t understand these things?

3:11 I tell you the solemn truth, we speak about what we know and testify about what we have seen, but you people do not accept our testimony.

3:12 If I have told you people about earthly things and you don’t believe, how will you believe if I tell you about heavenly things?

3:13 No one has ascended into heaven except the one who descended from heaven – the Son of Man.

3:14 Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up,

3:15 so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

3:16 For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world should be saved through him.

3:18 The one who believes in him is not condemned. The one who does not believe has been condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the one and only Son of God.

3:19 Now this is the basis for judging: that the light has come into the world and people loved the darkness rather than the light, because their deeds were evil.

3:20 For everyone who does evil deeds hates the light and does not come to the light, so that their deeds will not be exposed.

3:21 But the one who practices the truth comes to the light, so that it may be plainly evident that his deeds have been done in God.

1 Samuel 10

10:5 When you enter the town, you will meet a company of prophets coming down from the high place. They will have harps, tambourines, flutes, and lyres, and they will be prophesying.

10:6 Then the spirit of the Lord will rush upon you and you will prophesy with them. You will be changed into a different person.

Ezekiel 36

36:25 I will sprinkle you with pure water and you will be clean from all your impurities. I will purify you from all your idols.

36:26 I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit within you. I will remove the heart of stone from your body and give you a heart of flesh.

36:27 I will put my Spirit within you; I will take the initiative and you will obey my statutes and carefully observe my regulations.

36:28 Then you will live in the land I gave to your fathers; you will be my people, and I will be your God.

Exodus 12

12:21 Then Moses summoned all the elders of Israel, and told them, “Go and select for yourselves a lamb or young goat for your families, and kill the Passover animals.

12:22 Take a branch of hyssop, dip it in the blood that is in the basin, and apply to the top of the doorframe and the two side posts some of the blood that is in the basin. Not one of you is to go out the door of his house until morning.

12:23 For the Lord will pass through to strike Egypt, and when he sees the blood on the top of the doorframe and the two side posts, then the Lord will pass over the door, and he will not permit the destroyer to enter your houses to strike you.

12:24 You must observe this event as an ordinance for you and for your children forever.

Psalms 51

51:7 Sprinkle me with water and I will be pure;

wash me and I will be whiter than snow.

51:8 Grant me the ultimate joy of being forgiven!

Psalms 78

78:1 Pay attention, my people, to my instruction!

Listen to the words I speak!

78:2 I will sing a song that imparts wisdom;

I will make insightful observations about the past.

78:3 What we have heard and learned –

that which our ancestors have told us –

78:4 we will not hide from their descendants.

We will tell the next generation

about the Lord’s praiseworthy acts,

about his strength and the amazing things he has done.

Psalms 94

94:11 The Lord knows that

peoples’ thoughts are morally bankrupt.

94:12 How blessed is the one whom you instruct, O Lord,

the one whom you teach from your law,

94:13 in order to protect him from times of trouble,

until the wicked are destroyed.

Isaiah 47

47:10 You were complacent in your evil deeds;

you thought, ‘No one sees me.’

Your self-professed wisdom and knowledge lead you astray,

when you say, ‘I am unique! No one can compare to me!’

47:11 Disaster will overtake you;

you will not know how to charm it away.

Destruction will fall on you;

you will not be able to appease it.

Calamity will strike you suddenly,

before you recognize it.

Luke 8

8:4 While a large crowd was gathering and people were coming to Jesus from one town after another, he spoke to them in a parable:

8:5 “A sower went out to sow his seed. And as he sowed, some fell along the path and was trampled on, and the wild birds devoured it.

8:6 Other seed fell on rock, and when it came up, it withered because it had no moisture.

8:7 Other seed fell among the thorns, and they grew up with it and choked it.

8:8 But other seed fell on good soil and grew, and it produced a hundred times as much grain.” As he said this, he called out, “The one who has ears to hear had better listen!”

8:9 Then 28 his disciples asked him what this parable meant.

8:10 He said, “You have been given the opportunity to know the secrets of the kingdom of God, but for others they are in parables, so that although they see they may not see, and although they hear they may not understand.

8:11 “Now the parable means this: The seed is the word of God.

8:12 Those along the path are the ones who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved.

8:13 Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in a time of testing fall away.

8:14 As for the seed that fell among thorns, these are the ones who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the worries and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature.

8:15 But as for the seed that landed on good soil, these are the ones who, after hearing the word, cling to it with an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with steadfast endurance.

The Didache - Chapter 3

3:12 But be meek, since {the meek shall inherit the earth.}

Colossians 3

3:12 Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with a heart of mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience,

3:13 bearing with one another and forgiving one another, if someone happens to have a complaint against anyone else. Just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also forgive others.

3:14 And to all these virtues add love, which is the perfect bond.

3:15 Let the peace of Christ be in control in your heart (for you were in fact called as one body to this peace), and be thankful.

3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and exhorting one another with all wisdom, singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, all with grace in your hearts to God.

3:17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

James 1

1:23 For if someone merely listens to the message and does not live it out, he is like someone who gazes at his own face in a mirror.

1:24 For he gazes at himself and then goes out and immediately forgets what sort of person he was.

1:25 But the one who peers into the perfect law of liberty and fixes his attention there, and does not become a forgetful listener but one who lives it out – he will be blessed in what he does.

1:26 If someone thinks he is religious yet does not bridle his tongue, and so deceives his heart, his religion is futile.

1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their misfortune and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

Proverbs 16

16:19 It is better to be lowly in spirit with the afflicted

than to share the spoils with the proud.

Proverbs 22

22:4 The reward for humility and fearing the Lord

is riches and honor and life.

Psalms 9

9:18 the needy are not permanently ignored,

the hopes of the oppressed are not forever dashed.

Psalms 147

147:5 Our Lord is great and has awesome power;

there is no limit to his wisdom.

147:6 The Lord lifts up the oppressed,

but knocks the wicked to the ground.

1 Peter 3

3:3 Let your beauty not be external – the braiding of hair and wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes –

3:4 but the inner person of the heart, the lasting beauty of a gentle and tranquil spirit, which is precious in God’s sight.

Matthew 5

5:5 “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

Matthew 23

23:1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples,

23:2 “The experts in the law and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat.

23:3 Therefore pay attention to what they tell you and do it. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they teach.

23:4 They tie up heavy loads, hard to carry, and put them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing even to lift a finger to move them.

23:5 They do all their deeds to be seen by people, for they make their phylacteries wide and their tassels long.

23:6 They love the place of honor at banquets and the best seats in the synagogues

23:7 and elaborate greetings in the marketplaces, and to have people call them ‘Rabbi.’

23:8 But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher and you are all brothers.

23:9 And call no one your ‘father’ on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.

23:10 Nor are you to be called ‘teacher,’ for you have one teacher, the Christ.

23:11 The greatest among you will be your servant.

23:12 And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Take a break and listen to the lyrics of Groundation's song "Humility."

The Didache

Chapter 3

3:13 Be long-suffering and pitiful and guileless and {quiet} and kindly {and} always {fearing the words} which thou hast heard.

2 Corinthians 6

6:4 But as Gods servants, we have commended ourselves in every way, with great endurance, in persecutions, in difficulties, in distresses,

6:5 in beatings, in imprisonments, in riots, in troubles, in sleepless nights, in hunger,

6:6 by purity, by knowledge, by patience, by benevolence, by the Holy Spirit, by genuine love,

6:7 by truthful teaching, by the power of God, with weapons of righteousness both for the right hand and for the left,

6:8 through glory and dishonor, through slander and praise; regarded as impostors, and yet true;

6:9 as unknown, and yet well-known; as dying and yet see! we continue to live; as those who are scourged and yet not executed;

6:10 as sorrowful, but always rejoicing, as poor, but making many rich, as having nothing, and yet possessing everything.

Luke 17

18:1 Then Jesus told them a parable to show them they should always pray and not lose heart.

18:2 He said, In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor respected people.

18:3 There was also a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, Give me justice against my adversary.

18:4 For a while he refused, but later on he said to himself, Though I neither fear God nor have regard for people,

18:5 yet because this widow keeps on bothering me, I will give her justice, or in the end she will wear me out by her unending pleas.

18:6 And the Lord said, Listen to what the unrighteous judge says!

18:7 Wont God give justice to his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he delay long to help them?

18:8 I tell you, he will give them justice speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?

James 5

5:11 Think of how we regard as blessed those who have endured. You have heard of Job’s endurance and you have seen the Lord’s purpose, that the Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

1 Peter 3

3:8 Finally, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, affectionate, compassionate, and humble.

3:11 And he must turn away from evil and do good;

he must seek peace and pursue it.

3:13 For who is going to harm you if you are devoted to what is good?

3:14 But in fact, if you happen to suffer for doing what is right, you are blessed. But do not be terrified of them or be shaken.

3:15 But set Christ apart as Lord in your hearts and always be ready to give an answer to anyone who asks about the hope you possess.

3:16 Yet do it with courtesy and respect, keeping a good conscience, so that those who slander your good conduct in Christ may be put to shame when they accuse you.

3:17 For it is better to suffer for doing good, if God wills it, than for doing evil.

3:18 Because Christ also suffered once for sins,

the just for the unjust,

to bring you to God,

by being put to death in the flesh

but by being made alive in the spirit.

3:19 In it he went and preached to the spirits in prison,

3:20 after they were disobedient long ago when God patiently waited in the days of Noah as an ark was being constructed. In the ark a few, that is eight souls, were delivered through water.

3:21 And this prefigured baptism, which now saves you – not the washing off of physical dirt but the pledge of a good conscience to God – through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

3:22 who went into heaven and is at the right hand of God 43 with angels and authorities and powers subject to him.

4:1 So, since Christ suffered in the flesh, you also arm yourselves with the same attitude, because the one who has suffered in the flesh has finished with sin,

4:2 in that he spends the rest of his time on earth concerned about the will of God and not human desires.

4:3 For the time that has passed was sufficient for you to do what the non-Christians desire. You lived then in debauchery, evil desires, drunkenness, carousing, drinking bouts, and wanton idolatries.

4:4 So 9 they are astonished when you do not rush with them into the same flood of wickedness, and they vilify you.

4:5 They will face a reckoning before Jesus Christ who stands ready to judge the living and the dead.

4:6 Now it was for this very purpose that the gospel was preached to those who are now dead, so that though they were judged in the flesh by human standards they may live spiritually by God’s standards.

Job 6

6:14 “To the one in despair, kindness should come from his friend

even if he forsakes the fear of the Almighty.

Luke 15

15:11 Jesus said, “A man had two sons.

15:12 The younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of the estate that will belong to me.’ So he divided his assets between them.

15:13 After a few days, the younger son gathered together all he had and left on a journey to a distant country, and there he squandered his wealth with a wild lifestyle.

15:14 Then after he had spent everything, a severe famine took place in that country, and he began to be in need.

15:15 So he went and worked for one of the citizens of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs.

15:16 He was longing to eat the carob pods the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

15:17 But when he came to his senses he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired workers have food enough to spare, but here I am dying from hunger!

15:18 I will get up and go to my father and say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you.

15:19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me like one of your hired workers.”’

15:20 So he got up and went to his father. But while he was still a long way from home his father saw him, and his heart went out to him; he ran and hugged his son and kissed him.

15:21 Then his son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

15:22 But the father said to his slaves, ‘Hurry! Bring the best robe, and put it on him! Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet!

15:23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it! Let us eat and celebrate,

15:24 because this son of mine was dead, and is alive again – he was lost and is found!’ So they began to celebrate.

15:25 “Now his older son was in the field. As he came and approached the house, he heard music and dancing.

15:26 So he called one of the slaves and asked what was happening.

15:27 The slave replied, ‘Your brother has returned, and your father has killed the fattened calf because he got his son back safe and sound.’

15:28 But the older son became angry and refused to go in. His father came out and appealed to him,

15:29 but he answered his father, ‘Look! These many years I have worked like a slave for you, and I never disobeyed your commands. Yet you never gave me even a goat 90 so that I could celebrate with my friends!

15:30 But when this son of yours came back, who has devoured your assets with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!’

15:31 Then the father said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and everything that belongs to me is yours.

15:32 It was appropriate to celebrate and be glad, for your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost and is found.’”

Psalms 103

103:13 As a father has compassion on his children,

so the Lord has compassion on his faithful followers.

103:14 For he knows what we are made of;

he realizes 24 we are made of clay.

103:15 A person’s life is like grass.

Like a flower in the field it flourishes,

103:16 but when the hot wind blows by, it disappears,

and one can no longer even spot the place where it once grew.

103:17 But the Lord continually shows loyal love to his faithful followers,

and is faithful to their descendants,

103:18 to those who keep his covenant,

who are careful to obey his commands.

103:19 The Lord has established his throne in heaven;

his kingdom extends over everything.

Isaiah 63

63:7 I will tell of the faithful acts of the Lord,

of the Lord’s praiseworthy deeds.

I will tell about all the Lord did for us,

the many good things he did for the family of Israel,

because of his compassion and great faithfulness.

63:8 He said, “Certainly they will be my people,

children who are not disloyal.”

He became their deliverer.

63:9 Through all that they suffered, he suffered too.

The messenger sent from his very presence delivered them.

In his love and mercy he protected them;

he lifted them up and carried them throughout ancient times.

63:10 But they rebelled and offended his holy Spirit,

so he turned into an enemy

and fought against them.

63:11 His people remembered the ancient times.

Where is the one who brought them up out of the sea,

along with the shepherd of his flock?

Where is the one who placed his holy Spirit among them,

63:12 the one who made his majestic power available to Moses,

who divided the water before them,

gaining for himself a lasting reputation,

63:13 who led them through the deep water?

Like a horse running on flat land they did not stumble.

63:14 Like an animal that goes down into a valley to graze,

so the Spirit of the Lord granted them rest.

In this way you guided your people,

gaining for yourself an honored reputation.

63:15 Look down from heaven and take notice,

from your holy, majestic palace!

Where are your zeal and power?

Do not hold back your tender compassion!

63:16 For you are our father,

though Abraham does not know us

and Israel does not recognize us.

You, Lord, are our father;

you have been called our protector from ancient times.

Luke 17

17:11 Now on the way to Jerusalem, Jesus was passing along between Samaria and Galilee.

17:12 As he was entering a village, ten men with leprosy met him. They stood at a distance,

17:13 raised their voices and said, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.”

17:14 When he saw them he said, “Go and show yourselves to the priests.” 43 And as they went along, they were cleansed.

17:15 Then one of them, when he saw he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice.

17:16 He fell with his face to the ground at Jesus’ feet and thanked him. 48 (Now he was a Samaritan.)

17:17 Then Jesus said, “Were not ten cleansed? Where are the other nine?

17:18 Was no one found to turn back and give praise to God except this foreigner?”

17:19 Then he said to the man, “Get up and go your way. Your faith has made you well.

The Didache

Chapter 3

3:13 Be long-suffering and pitiful and guileless and {quiet} and kindly {and} always {fearing the words} which thou hast heard.

Matthew 10

10:16 “I am sending you out like sheep surrounded by wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

Matthew 18

18:1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

18:2 He called a child, had him stand among them,

18:3 and said, “I tell you the truth, 1 unless you turn around and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven!

18:4 Whoever then humbles himself like this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

18:5 And whoever welcomes a child like this in my name welcomes me.

Philippians 2

2:14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing,

2:15 so that you may be blameless and pure, children of God without blemish though you live in a crooked and perverse society, in which you shine as lights in the world

Romans 8

8:12 So then, brothers and sisters, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh

8:13 (for if you live according to the flesh, you will die), but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body you will live.

8:14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are the sons of God.

8:15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery leading again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry, “Abba, Father.”

8:16 The Spirit himself bears witness to our spirit that we are God’s children.

8:17 And if children, then heirs (namely, heirs of God and also fellow heirs with Christ) – if indeed we suffer with him so we may also be glorified with him.

8:18 For I consider that our present sufferings cannot even be compared to the glory that will be revealed to us.

8:19 For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God.

8:20 For the creation was subjected to futility – not willingly but because of God who subjected it – in hope

8:21 that the creation itself will also be set free from the bondage of decay into the glorious freedom of God’s children.

8:22 For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers together until now.

8:23 Not only this, but we ourselves also, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we eagerly await our adoption, the redemption of our bodies.

8:24 For in hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope, because who hopes for what he sees?

8:25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with endurance.

8:26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness, for we do not know how we should pray, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with inexpressible groanings.

8:27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes on behalf of the saints according to God’s will.

8:28 And we know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose,

8:29 because those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

8:30 And those he predestined, he also called; and those he called, he also justified; and those he justified, he also glorified.

pray030507_01.jpg

Psalms 19

19:9 The commands to fear the Lord are right

and endure forever.

The judgments given by the Lord are trustworthy

and absolutely just.

19:10 They are of greater value than gold,

than even a great amount of pure gold;

they bring greater delight than honey,

than even the sweetest honey from a honeycomb.

19:11 Yes, your servant finds moral guidance there;

those who obey them receive a rich reward.

19:12 Who can know all his errors?

Please do not punish me for sins I am unaware of.

19:13 Moreover, keep me from committing flagrant sins;

do not allow such sins to control me.

Then I will be blameless,

and innocent of blatant rebellion.

19:14 May my words and my thoughts

be acceptable in your sight,

O Lord, my sheltering rock and my redeemer.

Daniel 6

6:19 In the morning, at the earliest sign of daylight, the king got up and rushed to the lions’ den.

6:20 As he approached the den, he called out to Daniel in a worried voice, “Daniel, servant of the living God, was your God whom you continually serve able to rescue you from the lions?”

6:21 Then Daniel spoke to the king, “O king, live forever!

6:22 My God sent his angel and closed the lions’ mouths so that they have not harmed me, because I was found to be innocent before him. Nor have I done any harm to you, O king.”

Matthew 12

12:1 At that time Jesus went through the grain fields on a Sabbath. His disciples were hungry, and they began to pick heads of wheat and eat them.

12:2 But when the Pharisees saw this they said to him, “Look, your disciples are doing what is against the law to do on the Sabbath.”

12:3 He said to them, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry –

12:4 how he entered the house of God and they ate the sacred bread, which was against the law for him or his companions to eat, but only for the priests?

12:5 Or have you not read in the law that the priests in the temple desecrate the Sabbath and yet are not guilty?

12:6 I tell you that something greater than the temple is here.

12:7 If you had known what this means: ‘I want mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the innocent.

12:8 For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath.”

Hosea 6

6:4 What am I going to do with you, O Ephraim?

What am I going to do with you, O Judah?

For your faithfulness is as fleeting as the morning mist;

it disappears as quickly as dawn’s dew!

6:5 Therefore, I will certainly cut you into pieces at the hands of the prophets;

I will certainly kill you in fulfillment of my oracles of judgment;

for my judgment will come forth like the light of the dawn.

6:6 For I delight in faithfulness, not simply in sacrifice;

I delight in acknowledging God, not simply in whole burnt offerings.

Isaiah 1

1:11 “Of what importance to me are your many sacrifices?”

says the Lord.

“I am stuffed with burnt sacrifices

of rams and the fat from steers.

The blood of bulls, lambs, and goats

I do not want.

1:12 When you enter my presence,

do you actually think I want this –

animals trampling on my courtyards?

1:13 Do not bring any more meaningless offerings;

I consider your incense detestable!

You observe new moon festivals, Sabbaths, and convocations,

but I cannot tolerate sin-stained celebrations!

1:14 I hate your new moon festivals and assemblies;

they are a burden

that I am tired of carrying.

1:15 When you spread out your hands in prayer,

I look the other way;

when you offer your many prayers,

I do not listen,

because your hands are covered with blood.

1:16 Wash! Cleanse yourselves!

Remove your sinful deeds

from my sight.

Stop sinning!

1:17 Learn to do what is right!

Promote justice!

Give the oppressed reason to celebrate!

Take up the cause of the orphan!

Defend the rights of the widow!

The Didache

Chapter 3

Lamentations 3

3:25 The Lord is good to those who trust in him,

to the one who seeks him.

3:26 It is good to wait patiently

for deliverance from the Lord.

3:27 It is good for a man

to bear the yoke while he is young.

1 Thessalonians 4

4:11 to aspire to lead a quiet life, to attend to your own business, and to work with your hands, as we commanded you.

4:12 In this way you will live a decent life before outsiders and not be in need.

Proverbs 11

11:12 The one who denounces his neighbor lacks wisdom,

but the one who has discernment keeps silent.

11:13 The one who goes about slandering others reveals secrets,

but the one who is trustworthy conceals a matter.

Proverbs 12

Proverbs 15

15:23 A person has joy in giving an appropriate answer,

and a word at the right time – how good it is!

Proverbs 17

17:27 The truly wise person restrains his words,

and the one who stays calm is discerning.

17:28 Even a fool who remains silent is considered wise,

and the one who holds his tongue is deemed discerning.

Proverbs 29

29:11 A fool lets fly with all his temper,

but a wise person keeps it back.

The above scripture leads me to understand that there is a purpose for restraint. Listen to the Byrds 'Turn Turn Turn.'

There is not nothing permanent beyond the will of Adonai. Every event is part of God's unfathomable plan.

Ecclesiastes 2

3:1 For everything there is an appointed time,

and an appropriate time for every activity on earth:

3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die;

a time to plant, and a time to uproot what was planted;

3:3 A time to kill, and a time to heal;

a time to break down, and a time to build up;

3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh;

a time to mourn, and a time to dance.

3:5 A time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones;

a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

3:6 A time to search, and a time to give something up as lost;

a time to keep, and a time to throw away;

3:7 A time to rip, and a time to sew;

a time to keep silent, and a time to speak.

3:8 A time to love, and a time to hate;

a time for war, and a time for peace.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.