Washington DC Message Boards

Has morality been scraped away from our Legislative, Executive, and Judicial system?

Luke_Wilbur

Happy Shivratri. Today is the day Lord Shiva was was born.

Mangala Charanam

Dressed in white you are,

Oh, all pervading one,

And glowing with the color of moon,

With four arms, you are, the all knowing one

I meditate on your ever-smiling face,

And pray, “Remove all obstacles on my way”.

http://stotraratna.sathyasaibababrotherhood.org/s1.htm

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judges and leaders act on behalf of God to govern us all. Thus they are bestowed with a lower form of divine authority. The more Judges and leaders understand the true nature of Law, the more they are bound to honor it.

John 10

10:34 Jesus answered, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, you are gods’?

10:35 If those people to whom the word of God came were called ‘gods’ (and the scripture cannot be broken),

10:36 do you say about the one whom the Father set apart and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

If I do not perform the deeds of my Father, do not believe me.

10:38 But if I do them, even if you do not believe me, believe the deeds, so that you may come to know and understand that I am in the Father and the Father is in me.

What is known is that Judges are elected and appointed into what some consider a quasi divine position on ruling law. Just like a priest they wear their robes to identify their position. Scripture gives a clear reminder to unjust judges of their mortality and their service to the People will be reviewed by One with greater authority.

Psalms 82

82:1 God stands in the assembly of El;

in the midst of the gods he renders judgment.

82:2 He says, “How long will you make unjust legal decisions

and show favoritism to the wicked? (Selah)

82:3 Defend the cause of the poor and the fatherless!

Vindicate the oppressed and suffering!

82:4 Rescue the poor and needy!

Deliver them from the power of the wicked!

82:5 They neither know nor understand.

They stumble around in the dark,

while all the foundations of the earth crumble.

82:6 I thought, ‘You are gods;

all of you are sons of the Most High.’

82:7 Yet you will die like mortals;

you will fall like all the other rulers.”

82:8 Rise up, O God, and execute judgment on the earth!

For you own all the nations.

Scripture reveals what happens to judges and leaders that forget the mortality of their position. Like Lucifer they are hurled into the land of the dead for their hubris.

Isaiah 14

14:9 Sheol below is stirred up about you,

ready to meet you when you arrive.

It rouses the spirits of the dead for you,

all the former leaders of the earth;

it makes all the former kings of the nations

rise from their thrones.

14:10 All of them respond to you, saying:

‘You too have become weak like us!

You have become just like us!

14:11 Your splendor has been brought down to Sheol,

as well as the sound of your stringed instruments.

You lie on a bed of maggots,

with a blanket of worms over you.

14:12 Look how you have fallen from the sky,

O shining one, son of the dawn!

You have been cut down to the ground,

O conqueror of the nations!

14:13 You said to yourself,

“I will climb up to the sky.

Above the stars of El

I will set up my throne.

I will rule on the mountain of assembly

on the remote slopes of Zaphon.

14:14 I will climb up to the tops of the clouds;

I will make myself like the Most High!”

14:15 But you were brought down to Sheol,

to the remote slopes of the pit.

14:16 Those who see you stare at you,

they look at you carefully, thinking:

“Is this the man who shook the earth,

the one who made kingdoms tremble?

I have come to important realizations from writing this post. First, that I must respect the writings of my spiritual kin from their point of view. Their insight gives me greater insight to my own faith. Second, God the Father gave us the greatest laws for us to follow. Jesus was the greatest lawyer known to man in explaining them. The Devil does his best to rebuke them. And the Holy Spirit gives us the power to understand the truth to it all.

To the rational hope.

To the esoteric wish.

To the religious pray.

It is my hope through the power of prayer that my wish of peace and prosperity to Our Nation will happen.

We need to believe that is a true honor and blessing to be citizens of Our enchanted Republic.

The Golden Rule must prevail over those that have the gold rule.

Wherever it is found and however it is expressed, the Golden Rule encompasses the moral code of the kingdom of God. It forbids interference by one with the rights of another. It is equally binding upon nations, associations, and individuals. Russell M. Nelson, 2002

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2002/10/blessed-are-the-peacemakers?lang=eng

Guest SpiritTalker

Follow the path of the Blackfoot

http://www.blackfoot.org/teachings.php

Believe in the beauty and strength our your own being. Forget the foolish belief that you and your fellow human beings were born evil. Those who would control you all the days of your life on earth perpetuate the belief iihtsipaitapiiyo?pa (Source of Life) made things to have a bad spirit.

Live a life of truth and honesty. This makes you a person of quality and dignity. Truth and honesty are the kind of leadership qualities that attracts others.

Give honor and respect to others regardless of age and situation in life. This quality makes you and others worthy of honor and respect, which makes others, feel worthwhile and fulfilled. Honor and respect empowers others so they can win the day. They will return it to you fourfold.

Honor the earth and all that exists. Be strong in this belief and practice it throughout your life because it makes for a world of kindness that binds all the good things of life together in a circle of harmony.

Be humble but not timid. To be humble is to connect yourself to the stars and the entire universe and makes you aware there is something unique about life that is to be enjoyed without fear. We are people from the stars and because of it we are sacred.

Help others realize that life is a dream . . . . A beautiful dream. Dreamers are the butterflies of life and help others to realize their dreams.

Be humorous and help others to enjoy life and the life of others. Humor makes you attractive. The humorous person has many guests and the one who is invited everywhere because of the joy they bring to the gathering.

Never be afraid to talk matters over with those you disagree with or those you love. The gift of language is a miracle and it is meant to be used to live a life of harmony, joy, love, and respect. Use it well and use it often.

What is described here is leadership and happiness in the broadest sense. These are the qualities that make for a great father, grandmother, mother, teacher, grandfather, lover, traditional leader, friend and a great human being. Best of all you can add to this list.

I give these to you in honor and respect: Long Standing Bear Chief, Blackfoot

Guest Thomas

Anyone that supports abortions should also be for pulling the plug on people in a coma, Alzheimer's or any mental disorder. There is no arguing that all three are examples of life with little to no memories or value to society. Where is Obama's Golden Rule defending those that cannot defend themselves?

The true Golden Rule applies to everyone and everything. I respect the wisdom of the Blackfoot respect for all things that exist.

Follow the path of the Blackfoot

http://www.blackfoot.org/teachings.php

Believe in the beauty and strength our your own being. Forget the foolish belief that you and your fellow human beings were born evil. Those who would control you all the days of your life on earth perpetuate the belief iihtsipaitapiiyo?pa (Source of Life) made things to have a bad spirit.

Give honor and respect to others regardless of age and situation in life. This quality makes you and others worthy of honor and respect, which makes others, feel worthwhile and fulfilled. Honor and respect empowers others so they can win the day. They will return it to you fourfold.

Honor the earth and all that exists. Be strong in this belief and practice it throughout your life because it makes for a world of kindness that binds all the good things of life together in a circle of harmony.

blackfoot.jpg

http://www.fourdirec.../blackfoot.html

If you believe in the bible then the answer is clear on respecting life. I have great respect for my mother in her decision to not terminate me, Her sacrifice has given a future for me and my children as well. I very much believe she will get a first class ticket to Heaven.

Matthew 25

25:31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne.

25:32 All the nations will be assembled before him, and he will separate people one from another like a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

25:33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

25:34 Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

25:35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

25:36 I was unclothed and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’

25:37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

25:38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or unclothed and clothe you?

25:39 When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

25:40 And the king will answer them, ‘I tell you the truth, just as you did it for one of the least of these brothers or sisters of mine, you did it for me.’

25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire that has been prepared for the devil and his angels!

25:42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink.

25:43 I was a stranger and you did not receive me as a guest, unclothed and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’

25:44 Then they too will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or unclothed or sick or in prison, and did not give you whatever you needed?’

25:45 Then he will answer them, ‘I tell you the truth, just as you did not do it for one of the least of these, you did not do it for me.’

25:46 And these will depart into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

We must value simple brain functions in all states of life. Otherwise, the state will begin to classify individual's in state of coma, Alzheimer's or any mental disorder as no longer people. We must respect the rights of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness to those that cannot defend themselves.

When does the fetus's brain begin to work?

Generally speaking, the central nervous system (which is composed of the brain and the spinal cord) matures in a sequence from "tail" to head. In just the fifth week after conception, the first synapses begin forming in a fetus's spinal cord. By the sixth week, these early neural connections permit the first fetal movements--spontaneous arches and curls of the whole body--that researchers can detect through ultrasound imaging. Many other movements soon follow--of the limbs (around eight weeks) and fingers (ten weeks), as well as some surprisingly coordinated actions (hiccuping, stretching, yawning, sucking, swallowing, grasping, and thumb-sucking). By the end of the first trimester, a fetus's movement repertoire is remarkably rich, even though most pregnant women can feel none of it. (Most women sense the first fetal movements around eighteen weeks of pregnancy.)

The second trimester marks the onset of other critical reflexes: continuous breathing movements (that is, rhythmic contractions of the diaphragm and chest muscles) and coordinated sucking and swallowing reflexes. These abilities are controlled by the brainstem, which sits above the spinal cord but below the higher, more recently-evolved cerebral cortex. The brainstem is responsible for many of our body's most vital functions--heart rate, breathing, and blood pressure. It is largely mature by the end of the second trimester, which is when babies first become able to survive outside the womb.

Last of all to mature is the cerebral cortex, which is responsible for most of what we think of as mental life--conscious experience, voluntary actions, thinking, remembering, and feeling. It has only begun to function around the time gestation comes to an end. Premature babies show very basic electrical activity in the primary sensory regions of the cerebral cortex--those areas that perceive touch, vision, and hearing--as well as in primary motor regions of the cerebral cortex. In the last trimester, fetuses are capable of simple forms of learning, like habituating (decreasing their startle response) to a repeated auditory stimulus, such as a loud clap just outside the mother's abdomen. Late-term fetuses also seem to learn about the sensory qualities of the womb, since several studies have shown that newborn babies respond to familiar odors (such as their own amniotic fluid) and sounds (such as a maternal heartbeat or their own mother's voice). In spite of these rather sophisticated abilities, babies enter the world with a still-primitive cerebral cortex, and it is the gradual maturation of this complex part of the brain that explains much of their emotional and cognitive maturation in the first few years of life.

http://main.zerototh..._brainFAQ#begin

Representative Goodlatte stated this defense of Natural Rights more eloquently for the adoption of Russian children.

We must not forget the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness that have been bestowed upon us as a nation and continue promoting these rights for others. Politics should not be used as a roadblock to children having loving families. - Congressman Bob Goodlatte, December 28, 2012, Defending the Rights of Those that Cannot Defend Themselves

http://goodlatte.hou...nnot-themselves

President Obama's Golden Rule for Human Rights should be continued for those that cannot defend themselves.

In the end, the values that I care most deeply about, and she (Michelle Obama) cares most deeply about is how we treat other people. We're both practicing Christians and obviously this position may be considered to put us at odds with the views of others but when we think about our faith the thing at root that we think about is not only Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf but it's also the Golden Rule – treat others the way you'd want to be treated - President Barack Obama, May 9, 2012 ABC News

You do not have to be religious to be pro-life. You do not have to believe in God to know the unborn deserve the same rights as the mentally disabled. This picture proves that it is possible for sheep and goats to get along.

friends15.jpg

http://youtu.be/e0mx5ERj1eI

Guest PinkPankda

Amazing what the family will do to give one of their members the best life possible. Even it the baby is not consciously aware of his or her family, but there are opportunities to sense pain and pleasure, which means the baby 'knew' when someone cared for him to take away discomfort: food, bathing, clean diapers, clothing for warm/cold, soft/rough, etc. The lessons his family and medical community learned are immeasurable.

It is important to not consider the Laws of the State holy. Otherwise history will repeat the scene horror of helpless people dying in agony. The result of restricted freedoms and no morality.

http://youtu.be/T2rXhWeMzTo

Before we ridicule Germany we have to look to our own country's history.

http://youtu.be/gTrbVf6SrCc

All three branches of government need to think clearly of the ramifications of overriding the will of the PEOPLE.

All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression. - Thomas Jefferson

The Supreme Court is now reviewing the minority opposition of California Proposition 8. The constitutional question is whether the following line is valid.

Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.

From my vantage I do not like the Federal government constantly intervening in State jurisdiction. But, I do understand that minority viewpoint is valid from a human rights perspective. I listened to the council stating that people now have a different moral understanding of same sex marriage.

It only a matter of time before restrictive abortion law will be brought before the Supreme Court. This time I hope the Supreme Court can consider I wonder if the same argument that people have a greater understanding that life exists at conception and that the fetus feels pain. Therefore, we must have some compassion for its life.

Plausible outcomes could be grounds for polygamy on one end of spectrum to human termination on the other end. Rabbi Hertz states this best:

Marriage is that relationship between man and woman under whose shadow alone there can be true reverence for the mystery, dignity and sacredness of life. Scripture represents marriage not merely as a Mosaic ordinance, but as part of the scheme of Creation, intended for all humanity. Its sacredness thus goes back to the very birth of man. - The Very Reverend, Chief Rabbi, Dr. J. H. Hertz

http://www.halakhah....d/nashim_h.html

69.JPG

For those pundits that argue marriage is just a generic word that the government should be able to use to define both same heterosexual and homosexual couples. Those same pundits should consider life to be a generic word for a fetus that is growing and feels pain and not just a glob of tissue to be discarded.

Jeremiah 20

20:17 For he did not kill me before I came from the womb,

making my pregnant mother’s womb my grave forever.

I believe God wants devotion and discipline from us all. But, this has little meaning to those that do not believe in Him.

To those that do not have faith devotion can mean selfless attachment for this wondrous place that we briefly exist in. The key to devotion is using the discipline of reason to better understand and control our instinctual thoughts through our journey of life.

We all our mortal and coexist with others that have different paths to understanding what the power of love really is. We can agree to disagree about pre and post existence. But, we should all concede that the Golden Rule is the foundation for living.

“Don’t be evil.” Googlers generally apply those words to how we serve our users. But “Don’t be evil” is much more than that. Yes, it’s about providing our users unbiased access to information, focusing on their needs and giving them the best products and services that we can. But it’s also about doing the right thing more generally – following the law, acting honorably and treating each other with respect. - Google Code of Conduct as of March 30, 2013

http://investor.goog...of-conduct.html

One who is not of faith can still find great wisdom through religious and masonic teachings.

The Book of Mosiah

Chapter 3

18 For behold he judgeth, and his judgment is just; and the infant perisheth not that dieth in his infancy; but men drink damnation to their own souls except they humble themselves and become as little children, and believe that salvation was, and is, and is to come, in and through the atoning blood of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent.

19 For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.

Ritual of the Nineteenth Degree

Grand Pontiff

Brethren, the Officers of the Consistory are about to confer with full service the degree of Grand Pontiff. This is the third of the Philosophical grades, the first and second having been conferred in the Rose Croix Chapter, This is the first Degree coming under the jurisdiction of the Kadosh of the Consistory. It is devoted to the search for the pure, primitive, or ethical Truth. It is an ecclesiastical allegory, and represents the consecration and ordination of a Pontiff, or Priest co the Order of Melchizidek.

The purpose and teaching is to war against the seven prominent Evils that pervade the World, and through Divine aid to overcome these evils by purity of thought, word and deed.

The dozen Evil Agents or Spirits are Injustice, Intolerance, Ignorance, Superstition, Indolence, Ingratitude and Intemperance, subject to and under the control of the Spirit of Darkness.

The Seven Good Agents or Spirits are Faith, Hope, Charity, Justice, Toleration, Intelligence and Truth, subject to and under the control of the Spirit of Light or Masonry.

Agency of Evil Spirits

Chapter 31

None are in greater danger from the influence of evil spirits than those who deny the existence and agency of the devil and his angels. So long as we are ignorant of their wiles, they have almost inconceivable advantage; many give heed to their suggestions while they suppose themselves to be following the dictates of their own wisdom. This is why, as we approach the close of time, when Satan is to work with greatest power to deceive and destroy, he spreads everywhere the belief that he does not exist. It is his policy to conceal himself and his manner of working.

There is nothing that the great deceiver fears so much as that we shall become acquainted with his devices. The better to disguise his real character and purposes, he has caused himself to be so represented as to excite no stronger emotion than ridicule or contempt. He is well pleased to be painted as a ludicrous or loathsome object, misshapen, half animal and half human. He is pleased to hear his name used in sport and mockery by those who think themselves intelligent and well informed.

It is because he has masked himself with consummate skill that the question is so widely asked: "Does such a being really exist?" It is an evidence of his success that theories giving the lie to the plainest testimony of the Scriptures are so generally received in the religious world. And it is because Satan can most readily control the minds of those who are unconscious of his influence, that the word of God gives us so many examples of his malignant work, unveiling before us his secret forces, and thus placing us on our guard against his assaults.

I personally thought the panel selection could have been better. A Jesuit priest would have been better able to debate Deepak Chopra. I found his views of Freud enlightening about who he sources his rationality from.

As a matter of principle, I side with the pro-choice side, as most physicians do unless their view is colored by religion. I'd rather live in a country where things are allowed unless expressly forbidden, not one where things are forbidden unless somebody expressly allows them. - Deepak Chopra

What gives the anti-gay marriage forces their influence comes down to moral hazard. If you run no risk sticking your nose into someone else’s bedroom, some people are weak enough to go ahead and do it. What gives them permission is a toxic tradition, deeply imbedded in the right wing, of shameless intrusion. McCarthyism, the right to life movement, school prayer, anti-immigration, and a string of other rabble-rousing campaigns have been based on harming other people without risk to yourself. What makes these movements immoral is that the whole situation is upside down. In finance, you are supposed to take extra care of other people’s money, not less, when you are entrusted with it. In a democracy, majority rule is based on respect for minority rights, the basic idea being that a bond of trust allows minorities to feel safe when they are outnumbered. - Deepak Chopra

If Deepak Chopra and President Obama truly believe in protecting the rights or minorities. Then they both should be be defending unborn human lives destroyed every day. They should be defending those whose beliefs are against having their taxes used to pay for abortions and gay marriages.

I pray the leaders of our three branches of government consider selfless reason when making decisions of morality.

If the government overturns the will of the People of the great State of California, then it is inevitable that federalize marriage. If this happens it is better to strip all formality for civil unions and just let people apply for their certificate online or at the Social Security Administration. If there is to be no morality, then nor frills as well. Wait in line till your number is called. Those that do not believe in same sex marriage should get a tax exemption.

Hebrews 7

7:18 On the one hand a former command is set aside because it is weak and useless,

7:19 for the law made nothing perfect. On the other hand a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.

holocaust-children.jpg

Happy Passover and Easter to my Jewish and Christian friends.

The laws of the Torah are divided into two classes — socio-moral and religious. They consist in other words of precepts concerning the relations between man and God and precepts governing the relations between man and man. Precepts that affect directly our fellowman are regarded as socio-moral. Those regulating the cult and ritual are religious. These differences in the laws, however, involve no contradiction in the unity of the Torah. For what is not moral law, is law helping thereto, or means of educating thereto, although the connection may not be evident in all cases. - I. Epstein, 1938

We sometimes worry about the transgressions of those of other faiths. But, when we actually take time to learn the wisdom of each other, we find that we are not so far apart.

Kedoshim, K’doshim, or Qedoshim (קְדֹשִׁים — Hebrew for "holy ones,” the 14th word, and the first distinctive word, in the parshah) is the 30th weekly Torah portion (parshah) in the annual Jewish cycle of Torah reading and the seventh in the book of Leviticus. It constitutes Leviticus 19:1–20:27. Jews in the Diaspora (now voluntarily, since the Israel was established in 1947) generally read it in late April or May.

Torah Leviticus 19

15 Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment; thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor favor the person of the mighty; but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbor.

16 Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people; neither shalt thou stand idly by the blood of thy neighbor: I am the LORD.

17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thy heart; thou shalt surely rebuke thy neighbor, and not bear sin because of him.

18 Thou shalt not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself: I am the LORD.

love_thy_neighbor.jpg

Matthew 22

22:34 Now when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they assembled together.

22:35 And one of them, an expert in religious law, asked him a question to test him:

22:36 “Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?”

22:37 Jesus said to him, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’

22:38 This is the first and greatest commandment.

22:39 The second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.

22:40 All the law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”

God gave Moses the Divine Law. But it was Yitro, Yithro, or Yisro (יִתְרוֹ — Hebrew for “Jethro") who introduced the idea of establishing judges to keep social order.

Torah Exodus 18

10 And Jethro said: 'Blessed be the LORD, who hath delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians, and out of the hand of Pharaoh; who hath delivered the people from under the hand of the Egyptians.

11 Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods; yea, for that they dealt proudly against them.'

12 And Jethro, Moses' father-in-law, took a burnt-offering and sacrifices for God; and Aaron came, and all the elders of Israel, to eat bread with Moses' father-in-law before God.

13 And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses sat to judge the people; and the people stood about Moses from the morning unto the evening.

14 And when Moses' father-in-law saw all that he did to the people, he said: 'What is this thing that thou does to the people? why sittest thou thyself alone, and all the people stand about thee from morning unto even?'

15 And Moses said unto his father-in-law: 'Because the people come unto me to inquire of God;

16 when they have a matter, it comes unto me; and I judge between a man and his neighbor, and I make them know the statutes of God, and His laws.'

17 And Moses' father-in-law said unto him: 'The thing that thou doest is not good.

18 Thou wilt surely wear away, both thou, and this people that is with thee; for the thing is too heavy for thee; thou art not able to perform it thyself alone.

19 Hearken now unto my voice, I will give thee counsel, and God be with thee: be thou for the people before God, and bring thou the causes unto God.

20 And thou shalt teach them the statutes and the laws, and shalt show them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do.

21 Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating unjust gain; and place such over them, to be rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens.

22 And let them judge the people at all seasons; and it shall be, that every great matter they shall bring unto thee, but every small matter they shall judge themselves; so shall they make it easier for thee and bear the burden with thee.

23 If thou shalt do this thing, and God command thee so, then thou shalt be able to endure, and all this people also shall go to their place in peace.'

24 So Moses hearkened to the voice of his father-in-law, and did all that he had said.

25 And Moses chose able men out of all Israel, and made them heads over the people, rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens.

26 And they judged the people at all seasons: the hard causes they brought unto Moses, but every small matter they judged themselves.

27 And Moses let his father-in-law depart; and he went his way into his own land.

800px-Tissot_Jethro_and_Moses.jpg

Here is an excerpt of Moses speech to the Israelites about setting up their government.

Torah Deuteronomy Chapter 1

11 The LORD, the God of your fathers, make you a thousand times so many more as ye are, and bless you, as He hath promised you!

12 How can I myself alone bear your cumbrance, and your burden, and your strife?

13 Get you, from each one of your tribes, wise men, and understanding, and full of knowledge, and I will make them heads over you.'

14 And ye answered me, and said: 'The thing which thou hast spoken is good for us to do.'

15 So I took the heads of your tribes, wise men, and full of knowledge, and made them heads over you, captains of thousands, and captains of hundreds, and captains of fifties, and captains of tens, and officers, tribe by tribe.

16 And I charged your judges at that time, saying: 'Hear the causes between your brethren, and judge righteously between a man and his brother, and the stranger that is with him.

17 Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; ye shall hear the small and the great alike; ye shall not be afraid of the face of any man; for the judgment is God's; and the cause that is too hard for you ye shall bring unto me, and I will hear it.'

18 And I commanded you at that time all the things which ye should do.

Moses is not longer here on Earth. But, God's Commandments are eternal. For a person of faith it is important not to lose sight of this. But, we need to accept the judgement of our rulers and work within the system to change the moral tides. But, it is important for us vote in and appoint judges and public servants that are in good moral standing.

1 Corinthians 5

6:1 When any of you has a legal dispute with another, does he dare go to court before the unrighteous rather than before the saints?

6:2 Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you not competent to settle trivial suits?

6:3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? Why not ordinary matters!

6:4 So if you have ordinary lawsuits, do you appoint as judges those who have no standing in the church?

6:5 I say this to your shame! Is there no one among you wise enough to settle disputes between fellow Christians?

6:6 Instead, does a Christian sue a Christian, and do this before unbelievers? 6:7 The fact that you have lawsuits among yourselves demonstrates that you have already been defeated. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated?

6:8 But you yourselves wrong and cheat, and you do this to your brothers and sisters!

6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! The sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, passive homosexual partners, practicing homosexuals,

6:10 thieves, the greedy, drunkards, the verbally abusive, and swindlers will not inherit the kingdom of God.

6:11 Some of you once lived this way. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

There is truth in comedy.

http://youtu.be/W7-tQeWt4aU

Guest ضوء

Surat Al-Baqarah (The Cow)

2:47

يا بني إسرائيل، تذكر نعمتي التي كنت قد منحت عليكم وفضلت أن لك أكثر العالمين.

O Children of Israel, remember My favor that I have bestowed upon you and that I preferred you over the worlds.

2:62

في الواقع، الذين آمنوا والذين كانوا هودا أو نصارى أو الصابئة [قبل النبي محمد] - تلك [بينهم] الذين آمنوا بالله واليوم الآخر وفعل البر - سوف يكون أجرهم عند ربهم ولا خوف سيكون هناك أن تتعلق بها، كما أنها لا تحزن.

Indeed, those who believed and those who were Jews or Christians or Sabeans [before Prophet Muhammad] - those [among them] who believed in Allah and the Last Day and did righteousness - will have their reward with their Lord, and no fear will there be concerning them, nor will they grieve.

2:136

يقول [المؤمنون O]، "لقد اعتقدنا في الله وما تم كشف لنا وما تم كشف لإبراهيم وإسماعيل وإسحاق ويعقوب وحصل على أحفاد وماذا موسى وعيسى وما أعطيت لل الأنبياء من ربهم، ونحن لا تفرق بين أي منهم، ونحن المسلمين [في تقديم] اليه ".

Say, [O believers], "We have believed in Allah and what has been revealed to us and what has been revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the Descendants and what was given to Moses and Jesus and what was given to the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him."

2:177

البر ليس أن تقوم بدورها وجوهكم نحو الشرق أو الغرب، بل هو بر [صحيح] هو [في] من يؤمن بالله واليوم الآخر، والملائكة، والكتاب، والأنبياء ويعطي الثروة، على الرغم من الحب بالنسبة لها، إلى الأقارب واليتامى والمساكين، والمسافر، الذين يطلبون [لمساعدة]، وتحرير العبيد، [والذين] يؤسس الصلاة والزكاة يعطي؛ [أولئك الذين] الوفاء بوعدها عندما وعد، و [أولئك الذين] هم المريض في حالة من الفقر والمشقة وخلال المعركة. هؤلاء هم الذين كانوا صحيح، وأنه من أولئك الذين هم الصالحين.

Righteousness is not that you turn your faces toward the east or the west, but [true] righteousness is [in] one who believes in Allah , the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the prophets and gives wealth, in spite of love for it, to relatives, orphans, the needy, the traveler, those who ask [for help], and for freeing slaves; [and who] establishes prayer and gives zakah; [those who] fulfill their promise when they promise; and [those who] are patient in poverty and hardship and during battle. Those are the ones who have been true, and it is those who are the righteous.

Surat An-Nisā' (The Women)

4:36

عبادة الله وتشرك به شيئا، والآباء فعل الخير، والأقارب، واليتامى والمساكين، والجار القريب، والجار أبعد، الرفيق إلى جانبكم، والمسافر، وأولئك الذين يملكون حق يديك. في الواقع، والله لا يحب أولئك الذين يعملون لحسابهم تخدع ومتبجح

Worship Allah and associate nothing with Him, and to parents do good, and to relatives, orphans, the needy, the near neighbor, the neighbor farther away, the companion at your side, the traveler, and those whom your right hands possess. Indeed, Allah does not like those who are self-deluding and boastful.

Surat At-Tawbah (The Repentance)

9:6

وإذا كان أي واحد من المشركين يسعى الحماية الخاص بك، ثم منح له الحماية حتى يتمكن من سماع كلام الله. ثم تقديم له مكانه السلامة. هذا هو لأنهم قوم لا أعرف.

And if any one of the polytheists seeks your protection, then grant him protection so that he may hear the words of Allah . Then deliver him to his place of safety. That is because they are a people who do not know.

Surat Al-'Isrā' (The Night Journey)

17:22

لا تجعل [على قدم المساواة] مع آخر ألوهية الله و[بذلك] وجه اللوم تصبح وتخلى.

Do not make [as equal] with Allah another deity and [thereby] become censured and forsaken.

17:23

وقد صدر مرسوم وربك أن لا نعبد إلا الله، والآباء، وحسن المعاملة. إذا كان واحد أو كل منهما بلوغ سن [حين] معك، ويقول لهم لا [بقدر ما]، "uff" ولا صد لهم ولكن قولوا لهم كلمة النبيلة.

And your Lord has decreed that you not worship except Him, and to parents, good treatment. Whether one or both of them reach old age [while] with you, say not to them [so much as], "uff," and do not repel them but speak to them a noble word.

17:24

وانخفاض لهم جناح الذل من الرحمة ويقول: "ربي، ارحم عليهم كما رباني في هذه الحياة [عندما كنت] صغيرة."

And lower to them the wing of humility out of mercy and say, "My Lord, have mercy upon them as they brought me up [when I was] small."

Surat Al-Ĥaj (The Pilgrimage)

22:78

والسعي في سبيل الله مع السعي المستحقة له. وقد اختار لك ولم توضع عليكم في الدين أي صعوبة. [إنها] دين والدك، إبراهيم. يدعى الله لكم "المسلمين" قبل [في الكتب المقدسة السابقة] وهذا في [الوحي] أن رسول قد يكون شاهدا على مدى لكم والتي قد تكون شهود على الشعب. إنشاء ذلك الصلاة والزكاة إعطاء ويتمسكون الله. هو مولاكم، وممتازة هو الحامي، وممتازة هو المساعد.

And strive for Allah with the striving due to Him. He has chosen you and has not placed upon you in the religion any difficulty. [it is] the religion of your father, Abraham. Allah named you "Muslims" before [in former scriptures] and in this [revelation] that the Messenger may be a witness over you and you may be witnesses over the people. So establish prayer and give zakah and hold fast to Allah . He is your protector; and excellent is the protector, and excellent is the helper.

Surat Muĥammad (Muhammad)

47:19

أعرف ذلك، [يا محمد]، أن لا إله إلا الله واستغفر لذنبك وللمؤمنين والمؤمنات. والله يعلم من حركتك وموضع راحتك.

So know, [O Muhammad], that there is no deity except Allah and ask forgiveness for your sin and for the believing men and believing women. And Allah knows of your movement and your resting place.

Surat Al-Mumtaĥanah (She that is to be examined)

60:7

ربما الله سوف يضع، بينك وبين اولئك الذين كنت قد أعداء بينهم والمودة. والله المختصة، والله غفور رحيم.

Perhaps Allah will put, between you and those to whom you have been enemies among them, affection. And Allah is competent, and Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

60:8

الله لا ينهاكم عن الذين لا يقاتلونكم بسبب الدين وليس لطرد لكم من بيوتكم - من كونها الصالحين نحوهم والعمل بالعدل نحوهم. في الواقع، إن الله يحب الذين يتصرف بالعدل.

Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly.

I do think understanding the reasons behind the biblical and secular separation of powers is important to know.

Catholics like myself follow the Catechism.

http://www.usccb.org.../epub/index.cfm

After the fall of ideologies, the problem of man—the moral problem—is presented to today's context in a totally new way: What should we do? How does life become just? What can give us and the whole world a future which is worth living? Since the catechism treats these questions, it is a book which interests many people, far beyond purely theological or ecclesial circles. - Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger

I realize that the Hadith is similar to the Talmud in interpreting God's scripture. All three books are each difficult to distinguish between matters of faith and theological opinion.

Modernists, traditionalists and fundamentalists all hold different views of sharia, as do adherents to different schools of Islamic thought and scholarship. Legal scholar L. Ali Khan claims that "the concept of sharia has been thoroughly confused in legal and common literature. For some Muslims, sharia consists of the Quran and Sunnah. For others, it also includes classical fiqh.

Most encyclopedias define sharia as law based upon the Quran, the Sunnah, and classical fiqh derived from consensus (ijma) and analogy (qiyas). This definition of sharia lumps together the revealed with the unrevealed. This blending of sources has created a muddled assumption that scholarly interpretations are as sacred and beyond revision as are the Quran and the Sunnah. The Quran and the Sunnah constitute the immutable Basic Code, which should be kept separate from ever-evolving interpretive law (fiqh). This analytical separation between the Basic Code and fiqh is necessary to dissipate confusion around the term sharia.

Sunnah is the way of life prescribed as normative for Muslims on the basis of the teachings and practices of Muhammad and interpretations of the Quran. The word Sunnah (سنة [ˈsunna], plural سنن sunan [ˈsunan], Arabic) is derived from the root (سن [sa-n-na] Arabic) meaning smooth and easy flow [of water] or direct flow path. The word literally means a clear and well trodden path. In the discussion of the sources of religion, Sunnah denotes the practices of Prophet Muhammad that he taught and practically instituted as a teacher of the sharī‘ah and the best exemplar. According to Muslim belief, this practice is to be adhered to in fulfilling the divine injunctions, carrying out religious rites and molding life in accord with the will of God.

In Islamic terminology, the term "hadith" refers to reports of statements or actions of Muhammad, or of his tacit approval or criticism of something said or done in his presence. Hadith Qudsi (or Sacred Hadith) is a sub-category of hadith which are sayings of Muhammad. Muslims regard the Hadith Qudsi as the words of God (Arabic: Allah), repeated by Muhammad and recorded on the condition of an isnad. According to as-Sayyid ash-Sharif al-Jurjani, the Hadith Qudsi differ from the Quran in that the former are "expressed in Muhammad's words", whereas the latter are the "direct words of God".

Classical hadith specialist Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani says that the intended meaning of hadith in religious tradition is something attributed to Muhammad but that is not found in the Quran. Other associated words possess similar meanings including: khabar (news, information) often refers to reports about Muhammad, but sometimes refers to traditions about his companions and their successors from the following generation; conversely, athar (trace, vestige) usually refers to traditions about the companions and successors, though sometimes connotes traditions about Muhammad. The word sunnah (custom) is also used in reference to a normative custom of Muhammad or the early Muslim community.

Guardianship of the Jurist or Providence of the Jurist (Wilayat al Faqih) was advanced by the Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in a series of lectures in 1970 and now forms the basis of the constitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran. The term "jurist" can be confused with "juror." Although the word "jurist" can technically be applied to anyone having a thorough knowledge of law, American and Canadian lawyers usually use the word only to refer to a judge. The constitution of Iran calls for a faqih, or Vali-ye faqih (Guardian Jurist), to serve as the Supreme Leader of the government. In the context of Iran, guardianship of the jurist is often referred to as "rule by the jurisprudent," or "rule of the Islamic jurist." The absolute authority and guardianship of Allah (Wilayat al-mutlaqih) forms a central pillar of Imami political thought, which maintains that whoever wishes to exercise this authority must be appointed by Him.

The doctrinal basis of Guardianship of the Jurists comes at least in part from the hadith where Muhammad is reputed to have said "The ulama are the inheritors of the prophets." Ulama refers to the educated class of Muslim legal scholars engaged in the several fields of Islamic studies. They are best known as the arbiters of sharia law. While the ulama are well versed in legal fiqh (jurisprudence) being Islamic lawyers, some of them also go on to specialize in other fields, such as hadith or tafseer.

Charles-Louis de Secondat, Baron de La Brède et de Montesquieu (/ˈmɒntɨskjuː/; French: [mɔ̃tɛskjø]; 18 January 1689 – 10 February 1755), generally referred to as simply Montesquieu, was a French social commentator and political thinker who lived during the Age of Enlightenment. He is famous for his articulation of the theory of separation of powers, which is taken for granted in modern discussions of government and implemented in many constitutions throughout the world.

Montesquieu's most influential work divided French society into three classes (or trias politica, a term he coined): the monarchy, the aristocracy, and the commons. Montesquieu saw two types of governmental power existing: the sovereign and the administrative. The administrative powers were the executive, the legislative, and the judicial. These should be separate from and dependent upon each other so that the influence of any one power would not be able to exceed that of the other two, either singly or in combination. This was a radical idea because it completely eliminated the three Estates structure of the French Monarchy: the clergy, the aristocracy, and the people at large represented by the Estates-General, thereby erasing the last vestige of a feudalistic structure.

"It is not chance that rules the world. Ask the Romans, who had a continuous sequence of successes when they were guided by a certain plan, and an uninterrupted sequence of reverses when they followed another. There are general causes, moral and physical, which act in every monarchy, elevating it, maintaining it, or hurling it to the ground. All accidents are controlled by these causes. And if the chance of one battle—that is, a particular cause—has brought a state to ruin, some general cause made it necessary for that state to perish from a single battle. In a word, the main trend draws with it all particular accidents"

Montesquieu (1734), Considerations on the Causes of the Greatness of the Romans and their Decline, The Free Press, retrieved 30 November 2011 Ch. XVIII.

It is true that faiths have conflicts in interpreting what is stated in the bible. Let's take Homosexuality in the Anglican and Episcopal clergy.

Episcopal Bishops are successors to the Apostles in the same way as Roman Catholic and Orthodox bishops are, yet our Church governance is marked by a democratic process that includes our bishops, priests, deacons, and lay people.

Homosexual Bishops considered successors to the Apostles and by birthright governed by Queen Elizabeth.

Ordination of Gay and Lesbian Persons

Among our clergy there are some who are gay or lesbian. Their ministries are often highly dedicated and greatly blessed. God has endowed them with many intellectual and spiritual gifts and we give thanks for their ministries. We reaffirm that sexual orientation in and of itself is not a barrier to ordination or the practice of ministry within the church. Within the wider parameters of suitability, it is the manner in which sexuality is expressed that must be considered. Our intimate relationships are an expression of the most profound possibilities for human relationships, including our relationship with God (Eph.5:32). At ordination, candidates promise to live their lives and shape their relationships so as to provide a "wholesome example" to the people of God (BCP, 642). Exemplary behavior for persons who are not married includes a commitment to remain chaste.

http://www.anglicanc...D06EB3A194AB8D8

In 1998, the 13th Lambeth Conference of Anglican bishops passed a resolution stating that homosexual acts are "incompatible with Scripture."

In 2002, the Diocese of New Westminster, in the Anglican Church of Canada, permitted the blessing of same-sex unions.

In 2003, two openly gay men in England and the United States became candidates for bishop. In the Church of England, Jeffrey John eventually succumbed to pressure to withdraw his name from consideration to be the Bishop of Reading. In the Episcopal Church USA, Gene Robinson was elected and consecrated Bishop of New Hampshire, becoming the first openly gay bishop in the Anglican Communion.

In 2003, ECUSA became the first Anglican province to ordain an openly gay priest in a same-sex relationship as a bishop.

2008 Several hundred bishops boycott the Lambeth Conference. As an alternative, attended the Global Anglican Futures Conference in Jerusalem.

2013 - Queen Elizabeth of the Commonwealth of 54 Nations and Supreme Governor of the Church of England signs ‘21st Century Commonwealth Magna Carta’ promoting gay rights across the Commonwealth.

Her Majesty's royal family motto is Dieu Et Mon Droit (God and my [birth] Right - i.e. I rule with God's blessing).

The British monarch, at present Queen Elizabeth II, has the constitutional title of Supreme Governor of the Church of England. The canon law of the Church of England states, "We acknowledge that the Queen's most excellent Majesty, acting according to the laws of the realm, is the highest power under God in this kingdom, and has supreme authority over all persons in all causes, as well ecclesiastical as civil.

Of the forty-four diocesan archbishops and bishops in the Church of England, only twenty-six are permitted to sit in the House of Lords. The Archbishops of Canterbury and York automatically have seats, as do the Bishops of London, Durham and Winchester. The remaining twenty-one seats are filled in order of seniority by consecration. It may take a diocesan bishop a number of years to reach the House of Lords, at which point he becomes a Lord Spiritual. The Bishop of Sodor and Man and the Bishop of Gibraltar in Europe are not eligible to sit in the House of Lords as their dioceses lie outside of the United Kingdom.

24_10_1996_0342.jpg

The Lords Spiritual of the United Kingdom, also called Spiritual Peers, are the 26 bishops of the established Church of England who serve in the House of Lords along with the Lords Temporal. The Church of Scotland, which is Presbyterian, is not represented by spiritual peers. The Anglican churches in Wales and Northern Ireland are no longer established churches and are therefore not represented either. Although the Lords Spiritual have no party affiliation, they do not sit on the crossbenches, their seats being on the Government side of the Lords Chamber. As such, their seats are on the right-hand side of the throne, representing the fact that they, of all the members of the House of Lords, are the most loyal to the Crown. Parish priests also take an oath of allegiance to The Queen.

That it may please thee to keep and strengthen in the true worshipping of thee, in righteousness and holiness of life, thy Servant ELIZABETH, our most gracious Queen and Governor,

We beseech thee to hear us, good Lord.

That it may please thee to rule her heart in thy faith, fear, and love, and that she may evermore have affiance in thee, and ever seek thy honour and glory,

That it may please thee to be her defender and keeper, giving her the victory over all her enemies,

That it may please thee to bless and preserve Philip Duke of Edinburgh, Charles Prince of Wales, and all the Royal Family,

http://www.churchofe...of-deacons.aspx

Laws without morals are useless. Without the wisdom of virtues there is no guidance to what is right and what is wrong. Everything sways to the opinion polls and hateful rhetoric.

Do you solemnly swear or affirm that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?

Note: For the faithless "so help you God" may be replaced with "under pains and penalties of perjury".

John 18

18:19 While this was happening, the high priest questioned Jesus about his disciples and about his teaching.

18:20 Jesus replied, “I have spoken publicly to the world. I always taught in the synagogues and in the temple courts, where all the Jewish people assemble together. I have said nothing in secret.

18:21 Why do you ask me? Ask those who heard what I said. They know what I said.”

18:22 When Jesus had said this, one of the high priest’s officers who stood nearby struck him on the face and said, “Is that the way you answer the high priest?”

18:23 Jesus replied, “If I have said something wrong, confirm what is wrong. But if I spoke correctly, why strike me?”

18:24 Then Annas sent him, still tied up, to Caiaphas the high priest.

Matthew 26

26:57 Now the ones who had arrested Jesus led him to Caiaphas, the high priest, in whose house the experts in the law 71 and the elders had gathered.

26:58 But Peter was following him from a distance, all the way to the high priest’s courtyard. After going in, he sat with the guards to see the outcome.

26:59 The 74 chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were trying to find false testimony against Jesus so that they could put him to death.

26:60 But they did not find anything, though many false witnesses came forward. Finally two came forward

26:61 and declared, “This man said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and rebuild it in three days.’”

26:62 So the high priest stood up and said to him, “Have you no answer? What is this that they are testifying against you?”

26:63 But Jesus was silent. The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.

26:64 Jesus said to him, “You have said it yourself. But I tell you, from now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power and coming on the clouds of heaven.

26:65 Then the high priest tore his clothes and declared, “He has blasphemed! Why do we still need witnesses? Now you have heard the blasphemy!

26:66 What is your verdict?” They answered, “He is guilty and deserves death.

26:67 Then they spat in his face and struck him with their fists. And some slapped him,

26:68 saying, “Prophesy for us, you Christ! Who hit you?”

The Jewish leaders want Jesus put to death for being a false prophet.

Catechism of Catholic Church

1756 It is therefore an error to judge the morality of human acts by considering only the intention that inspires them or the circumstances (environment, social pressure, duress or emergency, etc.) which supply their context. There are acts which, in and of themselves, independently of circumstances and intentions, are always gravely illicit by reason of their object; such as blasphemy and perjury, murder and adultery. One may not do evil so that good may result from it.

1789 Some rules apply in every case:

—One may never do evil so that good may result from it;

—the Golden Rule: “Whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them.”

—charity always proceeds by way of respect for one’s neighbor and his conscience: “Thus sinning against your brethren and wounding their conscience... you sin against Christ.” Therefore “it is right not to... do anything that makes your brother stumble.

1970 The Law of the Gospel requires us to make the decisive choice between “the two ways” and to put into practice the words of the Lord. It is summed up in the Golden Rule, “Whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; this is the law and the prophets.

2152 A person commits perjury when he makes a promise under oath with no intention of keeping it, or when after promising on oath he does not keep it. Perjury is a grave lack of respect for the Lord of all speech. Pledging oneself by oath to commit an evil deed is contrary to the holiness of the divine name.

2476 False witness and perjury. When it is made publicly, a statement contrary to the truth takes on a particular gravity. In court it becomes false witness.When it is under oath, it is perjury. Acts such as these contribute to condemnation of the innocent, exoneration of the guilty, or the increased punishment of the accused.They gravely compromise the exercise of justice and the fairness of judicial decisions.

Proverbs 19

19:9 A false witness will not go unpunished,

and the one who spouts out lies will perish.

All good religions believe that all is possible in God's plan. And all good religions believe in the Golden Rule. Then all is possible for all good religions to remove the deep rooted resentment and prejudice towards each other an follow God's plan for for man to love him and one another.

In the natural world it right for siblings to love and honor each other and their parents. It is also possible to love and honor others outside the family. God is not different. All he asks is his creation to love Him and honor His plan for us.

What is right today is wrong tomorrow. What is wrong today is right tomorrow. People have bought into Oprah's pitch of "Live in the Power of Now" with an undefined supreme being philosophy of Eckhart Tolle.

Millions have experienced Oprah and Eckhart's A New Earth classes. They're transforming their lives and so can you. Dive in right now and start watching the online classes. Or, become a member of Oprah.com and join Oprah's Book Club—you'll gain access to your personal workbook, an exclusive newsletter, talk with other readers, and more!

http://www.oprah.com...-to-be-Awakened

So many "New Age" prophets take out the divinity of Holy Books like the Bible. Yet they need the wisdom of religion, because they cannot create morality on their own. A person that truly believes in a knowable Creator is able to experience these spiritual words as one who writes correspondence to a friend and loved one. Like many others I found the Bible in a state of humility. I found the words of Yahweh to be of great comfort that have guided me like a good father to his son to a better way of thinking.

What Tolle Is Not:

• Eckhart Tolle is not a Christian theologian or teacher.
  • He is not teaching Christian contemplative prayer or Christian prayer at all.
  • He is not teaching any dogmas or doctrines as such.
  • He is not presuming or teaching that there is a personal/relational God (but neither is he denying it).
  • He is not a proponent of the social, communitarian nature of religion.
What Tolle is Doing:
  • Eckhart Tolle is teaching a form of natural mysticism or contemplative practice.
  • He is teaching a morality and asceticism of recognizing and letting go of "the self that has to die" (Matthew 16:25), which he calls ego and Jesus calls the "grain of wheat" (John 12:24) ; so that another self can be born, which he would call "consciousness" and we would call the person born again in Christ, or something similar.
  • He is giving us some practices (Similar to how John Wesley gave "methods" or Ignatius gave "exercises") whereby we can be present to the grace of the moment and stop the "passions," the "egocentric mind," or the "prideful self" which keeps us from true goodness (or God, as we would call it). Each tradition uses different language for what is to be overcome, but it is always some form of "un-love" and selfishness (which he calls ego). TOLLE IS NOT ASKING YOU TO BELIEVE ANYTHING. HE IS ASKING YOU TO TRY SOMETHING! You will know if it is true, if you try it, and you will not know if it is true or false, if you don't try it. No point in arguing it theoretically or in the abstract.
  • He does assume and imply a worldview that is foreign to many, if not most Christians. For Tolle, Being, Consciousness, God, Reality are all the same thing, which is not all bad, when you come to think of it. Of course, his very point is that you cannot think of it at all, you can only realize it. I would not call him pantheistic (all things are God) as much as panentheistic (God is IN all things).
  • His brilliant understanding of the "pain body," as he calls it, is actually very close to the Catholic notion of Original Sin, and does give a corporate, communitarian, mystical understanding to religion. We are all in this together, and share one another's pain. I'm not sure he makes clear how we share one another' joy, except that he tends to create very "low maintenance" people who can relax and enjoy life.
http://www.eckhartto...stian-Tradition

The following are some quotes by Eckhart Tolle from "The Power of Now" considers tre homosexuality an advantage.

In the quest for enlightenment, is being gay a help or a hindrance, or does it not make any difference?

...the realization that you are 'different' from others may force you to dis-identify from socially conditioned patterns of thought and behavior. This will automatically raise your level of consciousness above that of the unconscious majority, whose members unquestioningly take on board all inherited patterns. In that respect, being gay can be a help. Being an outsider to some extent, someone who does not 'fit in' with others or is rejected by them for whatever reason, makes life difficult, but it also places you at advantage as far as enlightenment is concerned. It takes you out of unconsciousness almost by force.

On the other hand, if you then develop a sense of identify based on your gayness, you have escaped one trap only to fall into another.

The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence® is a leading-edge Order of queer nuns. Since our first appearance in San Francisco on Easter Sunday, 1979, the Sisters have devoted ourselves to community service, ministry and outreach to those on the edges, and to promoting human rights, respect for diversity and spiritual enlightenment. We believe all people have a right to express their unique joy and beauty and we use humor and irreverent wit to expose the forces of bigotry, complacency and guilt that chain the human spirit.

http://www.thesisters.org

There are four main schools of Tibetan Buddhism - Nyingma, Kagyu, Sakya and Gelug. The Dalai Lama is the head monk of only one of these, the Gelug school of Buddhist philosophy that does not believe in the Western concept of the existence of God. From what I have witnessed of his holiness is that he is a archetype of a higher being, just as the grace of a Queen who is Supreme Governor of a world faith. The impression I get from Dalai Lama is that he is a good centered man that has been immersed by birthright into his culture's teachings and sees the world through its lense.

dalailama-ngk0509_14515_600x450.jpg

Buddhism is my business. Not business of other people. Frankly speaking”—he stole a glance at the archbishop and declared firmly—“when you and our brothers and sisters talk about God, creator, I’m nonbeliever.” He laughed, perhaps a little self-consciously.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2421553.html

I get the idea of his view of Buddhism allows for homosexuality. But, what I do not understand is how he justifies doing harm to a life with in the practice of abortion. This conflicts with Buddhist teaching of "Do No Harm."

Shoshone-Bannock Nation tribal council member Leon Tyler said abortion and homosexuality did not exist before Europeans came to America and asked the Dalai Lama’s position on those.

“On same-sex [issues], I think [for the] believer and non-believer, we have to make a distinction. To a believer, according to one’s own teaching, you should follow. So [in] the Buddhist [tradition], man-to-man, woman-to-woman same sort of sex, that is considered sexual misconduct. So, [it] should [be] avoided [by believing Buddhists].

“Then, according the Christians or Muslims and their own tradition and teaching, they should [not do so]. Then, [among] nonbelievers, sometimes I heard those people, gay people, they face some kind of discrimination. I think that goes a little bit too far. I think nonbelievers, so far, so long as no harm is involved, then I think it’s up to [the] individual. So that’s my view. But I feel closer relations are better. Ha ha ha.

“So then, abortion. Abortion is basically a death, a killing.”

Through his interpreter, he added, “Again, similarly, just as in the case of homosexuality with relation to abortion, one needs to take into account the religious faith of the individuals involved. So, from a religion point of view, particularly the Buddhist context, abortion is an act of killing. It’s very clearly stated in the precepts.”

http://web.archive.o...ID_Article=1146

What I have revealed in this discourse is the outside moral influences that affect the Legislation, Interpretation and Execution of Law.

These moral influences include; Philosophy (mental), Science (physical), Religion (spiritual). For millenia extremist followers of these three schools have been jockeying for the dominant position, which causes discord to everyone subject to it.

I believe that we have known the truth from the beginning. The Golden Rule, the Gold Ratio, and the Creator are there for all the enlightened to see.

golden1c.jpg

Romans 1

1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth by their unrighteousness,

1:19 because what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.

1:20 For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, because they are understood through what has been made. So people are without excuse.

1:21 For although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God or give him thanks, but they became futile in their thoughts and their senseless hearts were darkened.

1:22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools

1:23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for an image resembling mortal human beings or birds or four-footed animals or reptiles.

1:24 Therefore God gave them over in the desires of their hearts to impurity, to dishonor their bodies among themselves.

1:25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and worshiped and served the creation rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

1:26 For this reason God gave them over to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged the natural sexual relations for unnatural ones,

1:27 and likewise the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed in their passions for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

1:28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done.

1:29 They are filled with every kind of unrighteousness, wickedness, covetousness, malice. They are rife with envy, murder, strife, deceit, hostility. They are gossips,

1:30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, contrivers of all sorts of evil, disobedient to parents,

1:31 senseless, covenant-breakers, heartless, ruthless.

1:32 Although they fully know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but also approve of those who practice them.

The Dalai Lama is a high lama in the Gelug or "Yellow Hat" school of Tibetan Buddhism, founded by Tsongkhapa (1357–1419). The name is a combination of the Mongolian word dalai meaning "Ocean" and the Tibetan word བླ་མ་ bla-ma (with a silent "b") meaning "guru, teacher".

According to Tibetan Buddhist doctrine, the Dalai Lama is the rebirth in a line of tulkus who are metaphorically considered to be manifestations of the bodhisattva of compassion, Avalokiteśvara. The Dalai Lama is often thought to be the leader of the Gelug School, but this position belongs officially to the Ganden Tripa, which is a temporary position appointed by the Dalai Lama who, in practice, exerts much influence. The line of Dalai Lamas began as a lineage of spiritual teachers; the 5th Dalai Lama assumed political authority over Tibet.

For certain periods between the 17th century and 1959, the Dalai Lamas sometimes directed the Tibetan government, which administered portions of Tibet from Lhasa. The 14th Dalai Lama remained the head of state for the Central Tibetan Administration ("Tibetan government in exile") until his retirement on March 14, 2011. He has indicated that the institution of the Dalai Lama may be abolished in the future, and also that the next Dalai Lama may be found outside Tibet and may be female. The Chinese government rejected this and asserted that only it has the authority to select the next Dalai Lama.

In his discussions of the traditional Buddhist view on appropriate sexual behavior, he explains the concept of "right organ in the right object at the right time," which historically has been interpreted as indicating that oral, manual and posterior sex (both homosexual and heterosexual) are not appropriate in Buddhism or for Buddhists, yet he also says that in modern times all common, consensual sexual practices that do not cause harm to others are ethically acceptable and that society should not discriminate against gays and lesbians and should accept and respect them from a secular point of view. In a 1994 interview with OUT Magazine, the Dalai Lama clarified his personal opinion on the matter by saying, "If someone comes to me and asks whether homosexuality is okay or not, I will ask 'What is your companion's opinion?'. If you both agree, then I think I would say, 'If two males or two females voluntarily agree to have mutual satisfaction without further implication of harming others, then it is okay.'"

Inducing or otherwise causing an abortion is regarded as a serious matter in the monastic rules followed by both Theravada and Vajrayana monks; monks can be expelled for assisting a woman in procuring an abortion.Traditional sources do not recognize a distinction between early- and late-term abortion, but in Sri Lanka and Thailand the "moral stigma" associated with an abortion grows with the development of the fetus. While traditional sources do not seem to be aware of the possibility of abortion as relevant to the health of the mother, modern Buddhist teachers from many traditions – and abortion laws in many Buddhist countries – recognize a threat to the life or physical health of the mother as an acceptable justification for abortion as a practical matter, though it may still be seen as a deed with negative moral or karmic consequences.

All good faiths must tolerate differences of other faiths through peaceful discourse. Atheist and Agnostic people are watching their example.

Those of faith must learn to understand morality of logic from an atheist perspective. The rational atheist must strive to understand the wisdom of morality from a Christian point of view. While difficult, I believe it is possible to teach a nonspiritual person spirituality.

1 Corinthians 2

2:6 Now we do speak wisdom among the mature, but not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are perishing.

2:7 Instead we speak the wisdom of God, hidden in a mystery, that God determined before the ages for our glory.

2:8 None of the rulers of this age understood it. If they had known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

2:9 But just as it is written, “Things that no eye has seen, or ear heard, or mind imagined, are the things God has prepared for those who love him.

2:10 God has revealed these to us by the Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.

2:11 For who among men knows the things of a man except the man’s spirit within him? So too, no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.

2:12 Now we have not received the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things that are freely given to us by God.

2:13 And we speak about these things, not with words taught us by human wisdom, but with those taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual things to spiritual people.

2:14 The unbeliever does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him. And he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

2:15 The one who is spiritual discerns all things, yet he himself is understood by no one.

2:16 For who has known the mind of the Lord, so as to advise him? But we have the mind of Christ.

photo_1369_20090312%5B1%5D.jpg

Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. The mere politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked: Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths which are the instruments of investigation in courts of justice ? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. - President George Washington's Farewell Address 1796

Gilbert_Stuart_Williamstown_Portrait_of_George_Washington1.jpg

Those that are morally just and have the wisdom of religion, philosophy, and science can only be true impartial public servants, witnesses, and agents acting on behalf of Citizens in our three branches of government. Those that transgress their impartial duties for their personal biases should be held accountable and all their actions be completely transparent for public review.

At point in History we are faced with both old and new challenges.

Gun Rights

Immigration

Freedom of Speech

Abortion

Gay Marriage

Mental Health

Private Patents of our Body

The best way still to guage these issues is through the State governments. Federal public servants should weigh the outcomes of their decisions in preserving harmony in our Republic.

We should look to the Wisdom of the past to chart our course to perfect this Union.

• 2 weeks later...

We need to realize that autocratic discipline no longer works in a democratic world. Our children and young adults need to be included in the decision making. At the same time we have to recognize they have not gained wisdom to fully recognize the ramifications of their decisions. At the same time their purity and ignorance to propaganda should be considered a valuable input to outcomes that involve them directly and indirectly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest StopTheInsanity

I was surprised to listen to a friend who is a neurologist call psychology a 'soft science' to reside in the realm of fantasy with little demonstrable evidence to be considered truth. How much damage can be done if a psychologist does a series of diagnostic tests over a five hour period of time and writes that a patient has a cognitive mental disorder that cannot be described? There are so many outside factors that may cause the patient to not perform well on that particular day. Or biases a psychologist have on a particular patient. What about Psychiatry?

http://youtu.be/PcuhhJ1BaMk

http://www.dsm5.org

As I continue this discourse I plan to demonstrate that the Schools of Science, Behavior Arts, and Religious Studies to be all considered equal tools to understanding Man's finite position in infinite creation.

I hope to show the benefits of establishing space for interfaith chaplains and chapels within public schools at no expense to the State. This space is not different than the chapels in hospitals, military bases, and Universities. I believe that any student with a faith should be allowed an alternative to a state hired counselor that may have a conscious or subconscious bias against their beliefs.

Blaise Pascal was a 17th century mathematician, physicist, and famously know for his invention of the mechanical calculator. He also was interested in probability and wagered the existence of God.

http://www.ccel.org/...al/pensees.html

You are so right.

We, the undersigned, are concerned that the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fifth edition (DSM-5):

• Includes many diagnostic categories with questionable reliability,
    which may lead to misleading assumptions about their scientific
    validity;
  • Did not receive a much-needed and widely requested external scientific review;
  • May compromise patient safety through the implementation of lowered
    diagnostic thresholds and the introduction of new diagnostic categories
    that do not have sufficient empirical backing;
  • Is the result of a process that gives the impression of putting institutional needs ahead of public welfare.

… and, because of the above, we are concerned that DSM-5:

• May result in the mislabeling of mental illness in people who would fare better without a psychiatric diagnosis;
  • May result in unnecessary and potentially harmful treatment with psychiatric medication;
  • May divert precious mental health resources away from those who most need them.

What, then, do we recommend?

These concerns should be resolved through concerted, interprofessional,

international dialogue and scientific research. Until then, because

there are safe and legal alternatives, clinicians, researchers, journal

editors, healthcare planners, managers & commissioners, the

pharmaceutical industry, and the media should avoid use of DSM-5

wherever possible.

See full Statement of Concern at dsm5response.com

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.