Washington DC Message Boards

Security Tool - Protect Your PC

Guest WH

My computer is infected by a web site I found listed on Google. The spyware took over my screen. "Security Tool - Protect Your PC" using a bogus alert symbol. The Spyware has taking over the operating system. It will not allow me to run McAfee virus removal tool. I did run in safe mode and gained access to McAfee virus removal, but the tool did not detect the threat. Therefore, I am not able to use your virtual technician. Safe mode impedes external contact. Any help would be appreciated.

Guest Disgruntled

McAfee now wants their customers customers to pay money for holes in their virus protection software. No warranty.

GoToAssist

Thank you for contacting McAfee Consumer Support. An agent will be with you shortly.

Customer :

Hello

akhil s

Hi, this is Akhil from McAfee Technical Support and I would be assisting you today.

Customer

Please read:

akhil s

May I know if you are getting any Virus infected messages or Pop-ups?

Customer

Computer does not detect this virus

akhil s

As I understand, your computer is infected with "System Tool" and you need to remove it. Is that correct?

Customer

Yes

akhil s

don

akhil s

Not to worry. I will try my level best to help you.

akhil s

How do you currently connect to the Internet? (Dial-up, DSL, Cable, or Wireless)

Customer

I use Cable

akhil s :

Thank you for all the information.

akhil s :

Since we suspect that your system is infected with Virus, we need to double check for the possible infection. So I'll be happy to transfer this chat to our Virus Removal Team, staffed with highly specialized technical experts, who can take a remote access of your system and clean things up while you watch.

akhil s :

Virus Removal Team is a group of expertise who would take a remote access of your computer and would eradicate the infection from it, and it is a paid service.

Customer :

Ok

Customer :

How much?

akhil s :

Please contact our virus removal team.

akhil s :

It's a fee based premium support for a cost of $89.95, wherein advanced tools are used to eradicate the threat in your system, which can really save your computer files and important data from getting corrupted. If the team finds no virus in your computer, your money will be credited back to your account.

Customer :

And how come you do not warranty your protection?

akhil s :

Infection can sometimes occur silently, when we visit any website containing malicious code. Otherwise, a user can allow an infection by installing a program or plug-in, hiding malware within its code. These programs are often disguised as free search utilities, screensavers or are even labeled as "Critical Software Updates". Even a protected PC can be made vulnerable under such circumstances.

akhil s :

http://service.mcafe...x?lc=1033&sg=VR

akhil s :

Please contact Virus removal tream.

akhil s :

The resolution that I have provided should definitely work for you. However, if you still require assistance, you can contact us again by going to http://service.mcafee.com. We have technicians available 24/7, who will be more than happy to help you at your convenience.

Customer ):

ok

akhil s :

Is there anything else that I can help you with McAfee products today?

Customer :

I just think that I got this just surfing the web

akhil s :

Please contact Virus removal tream.

akhil s :

You may receive a survey from McAfee that will give you an opportunity to provide feedback on the support we have offered. This information will help us to improve our support. Thank you for contacting McAfee Technical Support.

Customer :

I had popup blocker on

Customer :

Using Firefox

Customer :

I just wish you would answer my question

akhil s :

The infection will not be removed by that. So you need to contact virus removal team.

Customer :

You provided me a solution before I even told you my problem

akhil s :

If you have no further issues with McAfee you may please close the chat window.

Customer :

You did not answer my question?

akhil s :

akhil s :

As I understand, your computer is infected with "System Tool" and you need to remove it. Is that correct?

Customer :

Yes

Customer :

That was not my question

akhil s :

The infection will not be removed by that. So you need to contact virus removal team.

Customer :

This virus slipped through a whole in Firefox

Customer :

This means there is a hole in your solution protection

akhil s :

You need to contact virus removal team to fix the issue.

akhil s :

I understand your concern. However, I am from McAfee Technical Support, we would not be able to assist you in eradicating the infection from the computer. We need assistance of an expert to do this, or else, it may lead to loss of data and system crash.

Customer :

I am sure it will affect many others

akhil s :

So Please contact Virus removal tream.

akhil s :

We will now be closing this session.. Thank you for contacting McAfee Technical Support.

Guest THX 1138

PROBLEM FIXED! ( Windows XP ) This was an annoying one. "System Tool Protect Your PC" is a malware virus, and may fake-you-out by emulating your virus protection, pretending to finding a bunch of viruses, and displaying threatening warnings. But thats just a movie it makes you watch while it blocks access, locks applications, slows everything, and asks for your money!

LOOK FAMILIAR?

securitytool_system_scan.JPG

FIX IT NOW:

You'll need to move fast with this one. Immediately Upon boot/start-up, just as your background pic appears, you must simultaneously press CTRL+ALT+DEL, quickly select the "Processes" tab and look for an odd file with the extension ".exe". It will have a 10 digit random nonsense filename, that is mostly numbers, and may suddenly appear on the list as you are looking for it. Now: you must quickly select it, jot down its name, and click the "End Process" button, all before the virus starts back up again.

You now have control of your pc again! Run updated virus software now! (IF you have been to slow to finnish, then you will need to keep rebooting/re-trying this procedure until you are fast enough to complete it.)

Depending on your protection software, from that point, you should be ok to reboot, and be happy as a clam. If not, you will need someone familiar with the Registry Editor, to search your registry for, and remove, any entries containing that exact filename (without the .exe extension).

Buying additional tools is always a sham if you are already paying for virus protection. Virus companies like McAfee, need to provide support for their product in the form of downloadable repair utilities free to subscribers; without delay! This is what they do, no?

I guess it is too tempting for them to not use these kinds of viruses to, at very least, advertise! This suggests that they might want to insidiously sponsor the creation of the viruses their company needs in existence to feed off of.

• 5 months later...
Guest HUMAN

The U.S. Government wants it's internet over its intranet "HAVE FUN".

LAW YOU CAN POST AT WILL ON THE GOVERNMENTS SERVERS. THEY WONT TOUCH YOU. You really are free to post on the government servers.

LAW on the off chance that they do get you? Claim INTERNET ADDICTION.

ANOTHER BATTLE THAT LIKE MINDED PEOPLE LIKE ME HAVE LOST.

Guest HUMAN

Law you are the one who works for the government.

My guess is that you work at the Department of the Interior.

The Department of education; NO! You would have corrected me on my punctuation a long time ago.

State Department; Not a chance, you don't even know the basics.

DOJ; Not a chance PERIOD.

D.C. government; I honestly don't think that they would. It would damage their image.

Congress; No! The legal consequences for you would be dire.

I could bring in the folks from the IRC's in here, but it would get very messy in here.

Don't think of yourself as being too smart.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you are addicted to using government servers. Why???

Its free everywhere. You might want to get an IPad. It would be simple for you to use.

Guest HUMAN

Has it worked for you? It looks like it didn't help you any though.

Internet addiction has become a really big problem for society in general and especially for government workers "everyone wants their internet".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Human,

You do cling to a pattern of querulous delusions with extraordinary tenacity. You should consider getting help.

http://www.wellness.com/find/psychiatrist

Your posts continue to get more extreme with less and less reason. I think you make sense only to your own self interests. You would never make a good statesman, because you do not have the ability to debate issues. So you stoop down to gutter outbursts which I find quite amusing.

Why do you think I work for the government?

Guest HUMAN

Because you admitted it and that post was taken down. I should have never left you off the hook "I was too nice". <I'm Human>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your posts continue to get more extreme with less and less reason. I think you make sense only to your own self interests. You would never make a good statesman, because you do not have the ability to debate issues. So you stoop down to gutter outbursts which I find quite amusing.

Why do you think I work for the government?

That is a lie. I never stated where I work and what I do. Live in your fantasy world.

The only thing you know about me is that I don't let you lie to everyone else.

Guest BigBlue

I love to watch you two love birds fight. Why don't you two ladies make up and give each other a big fat kiss. Then again, wait until football season starts, so I have something to read.

Guest HUMAN

Little Blue; This spat between Democrats and Republicans has cost me investment wise 128 thousand dollars "Just this week alone".

Supporting my group has not come to me with out a price, and the democrats also playing games has been costly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love to watch you two love birds fight. Why don't you two ladies make up and give each other a big fat kiss. Then again, wait until football season starts, so I have something to read.

Guest HUMAN

You jumped really high for a lie. BUT since you seem to be an expert on everything; FOR THE NEXT TWO MONTHS YOU HAVE THE FLOOR.

You are going to do alot better then Barack obamas speeches. <Dusting off Home PLate; Go for it.>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is a lie. I never stated where I work and what I do. Live in your fantasy world.

The only thing you know about me is that I don't let you lie to everyone else.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...