1. Trim tree branches back that are at or below a child's eye level and keep lights out of reach.
2. Don't leave a lit tree or light display unattended.
3. Don't burn tree branches, treated wood or wrapping paper in the fireplace.
4. Keep all alcohol -- including baking extracts -- out of a child's reach.
5. Color additives used in the fireplace are toxic and should be stored where a child can't get to them.
6. Artificial snow is pretty, but it also can be harmful if inhaled. Use it in a well-ventilated space.
7. If you hang mistletoe, holly, Jerusalem cherry or other berries, make sure children and pets can't reach them because they can be poisonous if swallowed.
Got any ideas of your own that might help us all be safer? Please reply to this message.