• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Julie Clendenin

Julie Clendenin
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

MARKOFF’S HAUNTED FOREST SET TO LAUNCH 18TH YEAR OF TERRIFYING PATRONS
CREATIVE TEAM WILL OPEN NEW HAUNT AT NATIONAL HARBOR

WHAT: Markoff’s Haunted Forest (MHF), the original and best haunt in Maryland, celebrates its 18th anniversary this year. Markoff's is known as the DC area's ORIGINAL haunted forest. The event is an all-encompassing evening of terror on the trail, quirky entertainers in the "Circle" area (fire twirlers, DJs, face painters, fortune tellers and live music), amazing bonfires, nighttime zip lines, and -- of course -- food! On opening weekend -- October 1-2 - the Markoff's offer a discounted admission price.

This year, the creative minds behind MHF introduce a BRAND NEW HAUNT AT NATIONAL HARBOR – Markoff’s Haunted Harbor, opening on October 8 and adding a nautical twist to the Markoff's formula of spine-tingling scenes, creepy characters and weird experiences.

WHEN: every weekend in October 2010 PLUS Halloween night (Sunday, October 31)
  • Markoff’s Haunted Forest: October 1-2; 8-9; 15-16; 21-23; 28-31
  • Markoff’s Haunted Harbor: October 8-9; 15-16; 22-23; 29-31

WHO: Markoff’s twin haunts raise funds for Calleva, a non-profit outdoor education school and high adventure camp with programming for children and adults in the DC area. Calleva works with local schools throughout the year, runs a summer camp for kids ages 6-14, a youth leadership school, a sustainable farm, corporate teambuilding events, and year-round equestrian programs.

ONLINE TICKETS AVAILABLE:
  • Markoff’s Haunted Harbor, www.markoffshauntedharbor.com;
  • Markoff’s Haunted Forest or Enchanted Forest at Calleva Farm, visit www.markoffshauntedforest.com.

News organizations are welcome to come out for a tour of the forest any evening this October. Contact Julie Clendenin, Julie@calleva.org, to schedule a date.

For more information about Calleva, visit www.calleva.org.

white house christmas ornament

#2 Matt Dix

Matt Dix
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:20 AM

Great time at Markoff's Haunted Forest... well worth the $$$$!

#3 Ed Palmedo

Ed Palmedo

Friend

• Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:08 AM

I'm going tonight and have to say that this is the best Haunted Forest I have ever been to. I have gone the last 3 years and each year the production seems to get bigger.

:ph34r: Be prepared to be scared.

#4 Luke Wilbur

Luke Wilbur

Administrator

• Eagle
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • Interests:My family, writing, photography, and my faith.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

Calleva is a great organization with great leaders that I call friends.
One of many...

Luke Wilbur
Photo Journalist

Washington DC City Pages
This District's First Online Community
Established in 1994
Free and Open to All

Washington DC Gift Shop

#5 princess

princess
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

They also have the Enchanted Forest. It was great for my little ones. They were scared at first because we are walking through the woods but they loved all the scenes. Not scary at all. It was a great experience and totally recommended to kids 3-12.

#6 Newport Pleasure

Newport Pleasure
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

A buddy and I went to the Haunted Trail. Right after you get your waiver signed and you turn in your ticket, you walk into what seems like a party. Two gigantic bonfires, a zip line, food, fortune tellers, and fire jugglers. Along with the two Haunted Trails, there is also a Haunted Hayride. The trails were great! They were lit enough so you could see the trail. Every turn you went around you had to watch out. The structures you had to go in were the best, you had absolutely no idea what you were about to face. The only downfall was if your number was called to enter the trail and you missed it, then you were s.o.l. For $25 a ticket you think you would be able to enter either of the trails at any time you wish. All in all, it was the best Haunted Forest or Trail I have ever been too. Great scare for everyone in the family above the age of 10.

#7 MHF DOA

MHF DOA
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:55 AM

October 2011 Schedule

Day Date Times Trails Open Price*

sat 1-Oct 7-10:30 Poss. Hybrid $15
fri 7-Oct 7-10:30 Both $25
sat 8-Oct 7-10:30 Both $25
fri 14-Oct 7-10:30 Both $25
sat 15-Oct 7-10:30 Both $25
thur 20-Oct 7-9:30 1 $20
fri 21-Oct 7-10:30 Both $25
sat 22-Oct 7-10:30 Both $25
thurs 27-Oct 7-9:30 2 $20
fri 28-Oct 7-10:30 Both $25
sat 29-Oct 7-10:30 Both $25
sun 30-Oct 7-9:30 Both $25
mon 31-Oct 7-9:30 Hybrid $25

*Please Note: Purchase of a Ticket allows access to only one MHF trail.
Patrons may purchase a second trail pass inside the forest for a reduced price.
Hybrid trail is a longer trail linking the best scenes of both trails 1 and 2!

http://markoffshaunt...1MHF_trails.pdf

#8 spooky trail

spooky trail
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:25 AM

This place is scary fun!

Markoff's Haunted Forest has evolved throughout the years into a great tradition. A lot of the same family, friends and staff are still involved and a good time is had by all.

Posted Image

#9 DC Pages' Staff

DC Pages' Staff
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

Here's a great review of Markoff's Haunted Forest from ABC's Good Morning America:

Witches, zombies and evil lumberjacks roam the dark, ornament-lit grounds of Markoff's Haunted Forest, with the fright-lovers not too far behind.

"Some nights we see from 5 to 6,000 people come through," co-owner Matt Markoff said of what's billed as the oldest and most original haunted attraction in Maryland.

Awaiting your fate on one of two carefully constructed haunted trails, you can try your luck at any of the ghastly activities on the main grounds. Take a ride on the zip-line, climb the pole and jump the "Leap of Death," test your aim throwing axes like a lumberjack, or feel the rickety bumps on a haunted hay ride through the shadowy farm.

The three Markoff brothers began the 18-year-old attraction as a haunted bus, traveling from high school football games to senior homes across Maryland. It has since grown into a nationally ranked attraction on the Calleva Farm in Dickerson, Md., where they grow their own food and wood and even make some of their own gas. The proceeds support an outdoor camp for children on the farm.

#10 DC Pages' Staff

DC Pages' Staff
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

Post your best Halloween story in these message boards for a chance to win 2 tickets to Markoff's Haunted Forest from DCpages.com (a $50 value) Winners will be chosen every Thursday. Thanks for playing and Happy Halloween

-DCpages.com Staff

#11 Ed Palmedo

Ed Palmedo

Friend

• Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

NEWS RELEASE: PREMIER DC AREA HAUNT OFFERS 19TH SEASON OF MAYHEM IN THE WOODS

Calleva Presents Markoffs Haunted Forest 2011: Terrifying New Scenes,
TWO Incredible Trails PLUS Brand New Jailhouse Theme

IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 12, 2011

Julie_Clendenin julie@calleva.org, 301-648-0362

DICKERSON, MD -- Come out to the woods for the DMV’s longest-running and scariest Halloween event!

Markoff’s Haunted Forest has been terrifying people for 18 years, with two terrifying trails and a dozen other spine tingling events, including: haunted hay ride, haunted bus, zip line, death jump and more.

This year, things are different: The Markoffs have flipped on the floodlights and are ready to deliver mayhem & fear through a new Jailbreak theme. Ghostly characters roam in Cool Hand Luke & roughrider style. Patrons will experience The Box, Interrogation, Death Row & other penitentiary departments as they wait for their number to be up! It's JAILTIME -- get ready to prove yourself.

REMAINING DATES: October 14-15, 20-22, 27-30 & 31 PRESS PASSES AVAILABLE. Great photo opps!

#12 Amanda

Amanda
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:36 AM

Post your best Halloween story in these message boards for a chance to win 2 tickets to Markoff's Haunted Forest from DCpages.com (a $50 value) Winners will be chosen every Thursday. Thanks for playing and Happy Halloween

-DCpages.com Staff

I went last year and was so scared I almost wet myself. Also could hear people screaming in my head for the next week. Would love to go again this year!

#13 Mark

Mark
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:25 AM

-DCpages.com Staff

I want to win tickets. I have been going for the past 5 years. Last year I went twice. Best Halloween experience ever. I got to go on a zipline and fight my friend "American Gladiator" style. When do you decide the winner and how do we pick up the tickets?

#14 ChrisH

ChrisH
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:25 AM

How is the setup this year? I want to go but hear it is suppose to rain this weekend. IS there any point in going if it does rain?

#15 Jennie

Jennie
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:51 AM

I went last weekend and had a great time. I would warn people that this is not for little kids. The haunted forest is dark and people pop up out of no where and grab/scare you so anyone with kids under 8 I would hesitate to recommend to. That being said there is no better Halloween activity in the area. The lines were kind of long but the walk through the forest (and the chainsawing zombie) were definitely worth it. If you have no plans this weekend you need to go. One more thing, you have to buy your tickets online this year.

#16 Ed Palmedo

Ed Palmedo

Friend

• Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:53 AM

How is the setup this year? I want to go but hear it is suppose to rain this weekend. IS there any point in going if it does rain?

Chris - The weather looks good for this Sunday and Halloween Monday. Buy your tickets online and go - you won't be disappointed.

#17 MHF

MHF
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:55 AM

General Information

MHF is located on an isolated farm outside of Poolesville. We are reducing the number of tickets sold per night to increase the scares and reduce the wait. That means we will only be selling a limited number of tickets each night, and the only guarantee of entrance is with a ticket purchased in advance ONLINE! If you want a "Fast Pass" these can only be purchased through the following restaurants in Poolesville and MUST include purchase of dinner.
http://www.bassettsrestaurant.net/
http://www.yelp.com/...lle-poolesville
http://thecug.com/

Be prepared

How to prepare for the forest:

Wear warm clothes (hat and jacket).
Wear shoes suitable for hiking through woods.
While you wait, enjoy the other Events.
No flashlights, alcohol or bad behavior.
Waiver:

You must complete this waiver to enter the MHF.
Dates

Friday 10/5 and Saturday 10/6
Thursday 10/11, Friday 10/12, and Saturday 10/13.
Thursday 10/18, Friday 10/19, and Saturday 10/20.
Thursday 10/25, Friday 10/26, Saturday 10/27, and Sunday 10/28.
Tuesday 10/30 and Wednesday 10/31.
Times:

We open at DUSK . . . (7-ish) and close when all Patrons are through!
Patrons must be in the Parking Lot by 10:30 on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, & Halloween. All other nights inside by 9:30.
Groups:

You will need at least 30 people and everyone will need to sign a waiver. The leader will need to complete a Group Form, and send contract and deposit to Calleva. You want to do this because you get VIP treatment - reserved entrance time! There is also an optional private bonfire and meal pass. Contact Karen (hauntedforest@calleva.org) for more information.

#18 OC Local

OC Local
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

I went last year, and let me tell you, it's a great experience. It reminded me of the haunted house that used to be on the Ocean City, MD boardwalk where the Ripley's building now stands (wait, no, it WAS the "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" building) and wow I'm old, but I digress: it's like a haunted house set in a massive forest and to make a long story short, it's an extremely impressive production the Markoff's pull off. The entire "scene" is an experience you'll never forget. I brought my thirty-something girlfriend there last year, and we had a fantastic time. If you're contemplating going, then just go; you'll not regret it. Posted Image

#19 Julie Clendenin

Julie Clendenin
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

NEWS/CALENDAR ADVISORY
Markoff’s Haunted Forest Ready for 20th Anniversary Season

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 25, 2012
CONTACT: Julie Clendenin, julie@calleva.org, 301-216-1248 (office), 301-648-0362 (mobile)

DICKERSON, MD -- Markoff’s Haunted Forest is celebrating its 20th anniversary with a no-holds-barred frightfest in the woods: TWO haunted trails, a haunted hay ride, haunted zip line/canopy tour, death jump and more! See web site for details. Come out to the woods and experience DC’s longest-running & scariest Halloween event!

· DATES: October 5-6, 11-13, 18-20, 25-28, 30-31

· TIME: dusk-midnight Entrance gate closes at 10:30pm. NO ADMISSION after 10:30pm.

PRESS PASSES AVAILABLE for October 4-18 ONLY. Great photo opps!

MHF is presented by Calleva, a non-profit outdoor education organization. MHF helps fund Calleva's educational programs as well as scholarships.

In 2012, MHF/Calleva will donate a portion of 2012 proceeds to:
  • Am Kolel Sanctuary
  • Girls on the Run
  • Helping Hands Poolesville /Rebuilding Together
  • Maryland Off-Road Enthusiasts
  • Poolesville Green
  • Stronghold at Sugarloaf Mountain
  • Team River Runner
  • WUMCO Help
Patrons should purchase tickets online to guarantee admission: www.markoffshauntedforest.com. Entrance fee includes parking & one 20-25 minute terrifying trail hike. Other activities and concessions require additional cash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

2014 Warren G Harding Christmas Ornament