2016 White House Christmas Ornament Collection

South Asian chest--does anyone know what this is?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Marijn Verhoeven

Marijn Verhoeven
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

We would like your help to identify and perhaps estimate the value of our south Asian chest. If you are interested in buying the chest, we are interested in selling.

We bought this wooden chest in Bangladesh when we were stationed there in the mid-2000s. At the time we understood that this was an antique chest used by migrant workers to both store their belongings (there is quite an effective locking mechanism that is shown in the pictures) and to sleep on. It seems a bit heavy to travel around with, but that was the story.

Does anyone know what this is? Or would you have advice on how to find out? Many thanks,

Marijn and Karen

Pictures of the chest

white house christmas ornament

#2 Marijn Verhoeven

Marijn Verhoeven
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

Sorry, I made a bit of a mess of the earlier post and don't seem to be able to edit. First, here is a link to the pictures without the need to log in to Facebook.Second,you can respond here or via
email. Third, I forgot to mention the dimensions of the chest: w x l x h = 30 x 75 x 26 inches. Many thanks! Marijn

#3 Don't Tread on ME

Don't Tread on ME
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

You should contact Antique Road Show. They are experts in the business.

#4 Antiquephile

Antiquephile
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:37 AM

Do you know when the chest was made? It looks pretty old, and I'll bet the older it is the more it's worth.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

2014 Warren G Harding Christmas Ornament