Washington DC Message Boards

Summer Holiday Too long

Guest liftalee

Guest liftalee

Malcolm Gladwell stated in his book, "The Outlers" that the biggest problems kids have with learning and being prepared for success in life, is not a school problem, but a summer holiday problem. According to Gladwell, Kids whose parents are earn more and are more educated get their kids involved in lots of activities in the summer keeping them sharp, allowing them to learn much better when they get back in school.

• 2 years later...

It is a valid concern that because of the summer holiday that our kids will get lazy and be bored and forget entirely of their study habit when school does return. This should be prevented and I know there are a lot of activities that can keep them from getting lazy over the summer. I recommend summer military camp . They have a lot of outdoor activities and they will know self-discipline by how the camp is run. Having to learn discipline early will help them when they turn into teens soon.They will learn to be independent, boost their confidence and learn positive behaviors out of their activities. All traits that parents want our kids to learn. So I am all for our kids to participate in activities like this over the summer holiday. :)