Washington DC Message Boards

German Shepherd skin condition

David Knight

I recently adopted a one year old German Shepherd named Max. The original owner apparently paid $1200 to a breeder in Canada for Max. Unfortunately Max was tied up on a rope and left outside. The owner wanted to send Max back to the breeder, who would have Max destroyed, and then send another dog to the guy. My vet had the owner sign him over to their care where Max spent the next six weeks cooped up in a cage for most of the day. I took my Golden Retriever in for a routine check-up and was offered Max. He was one year old, weighed only 60 pounds and was missing 90% of his hair just to name a few of his problems. Max is now 100 pounds and has 90% of his hair back and is looking good. He's no longer mortified of everything and has developed quite the personality. The issues he has left are that he has a strong odor of urine to him. His skin breaks out in a red rash and he'll scratch himself raw. He's been treated for Sarcopic Mange and did very well on the meds he was given. Now that he' s off he's developed the urine odor and the rash. Any ideas what could be the cause of this?

Have you ever had your dog tested for a urinary tract infection? Have you tried putting using sudocrem?

I haven't but I will ask my vet when I take him in for a checkup next week. Right now he's on Ketoconazole. It seems to be helping a bit. Thank you for the tip.

• 3 months later...
Guest huntersmom1_*

Just out of curiosity...what are you feeding? I have had to deal with allergies, skin and coat problems in the past (and have always fed a high quality food). I currently feed Laughing Dog Holistic Dog Food...Since I switched, we have had excellent skin and coat and no more itching! Maybe switching food would help?