Washington DC Message Boards

Tony Kornheiser Leaves Washington Post

HailtotheChief

Washington Post columnist Tony Kornheiser accepted a buyout from the newspaper last night after working for the paper 29 years.

He said on his radio show, "All I ever wanted to be was a newspaper writer, which is likely not something that anyone under the age of 30 will ever say again. This other stuffis great, but I don't care about it," he said. "In my mind that's what it says on the headstone, it says 'newspaper guys."

I wonder why the Post let him go. The Washington Times should pick him up. He is the man who invented the Redskins Bandwagon. I will miss his column.

Guest August

I do not think he has written for since 2007. He just uses that plug for his radio show. I have noticed that similar buyouts or layoffs have been announced at The New York Times as well as papers like McClatchy Co's Miami Herald and Tribune Co's Chicago Tribune and Los Angeles Times.

As someone who grew up reading Tony Kornheiser's articles, I am sad to see him leave. He has been talking about "being in the process of a buyout" for awhile now on his PTI program so I cannot say that I am stunned. Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon have been my favorite two sportswriters since I was a little kid. We in Washington were lucky to have both of them writing for the Post for so long.

What I would really like to know is if he wanted to leave or if the Post pushed him out? Is Wilbon the next to leave? He is doing more and more work for ABC and ESPN so maybe he doesn't have many articles left either?

Oh well, as least Kornheiser still has his radio show and PTI so we can still hear him rant about his beloved New York franchises.

• 3 years later...