Washington DC Message Boards

Network Solutions / NameJet Domain Name Scam

Guest LAW_*

Guest LAW_*

I was interested in purchasing a domain name that expired on 04/16/2008 and is pending renewal or deletion.

I called Network Solutions at 1-800-333-7680

Pending Renewal or Deletion

pendingrenewalordeletion@networksolutions.com

P.O. Box 430

Herndon, VA 20172-0447

US

Phone: 570-708-8786

Technical Contact :

Pending Renewal or Deletion

pendingrenewalordeletion@networksolutions.com

P.O. Box 430

Herndon, VA 20172-0447

US

Phone: 570-708-8786

Record expires on 16-Apr-2008

Record created on 16-Apr-1999

When I spoke with Network Solutions they told me that I could not purchase the domain name, but I could backorder it at:

http://www.NameJet.com

Network Solutions has partnered with NameJet™ – the premiere auction platform for expired and deleted domain names – to bring you more options for backordering domain names.

NameJet is an domain aftermarket reseller.

When I asked how long NameJet would hold the domain up for auction, the woman at Network Solutions could not tell me.

I then called NameJet

NameJet

15801 NE 24th St.

Bellevue, WA 98008

United States

Phone: 425-974-4687

After waiting several minutes a customer service representative told me that Network Solutions has to give the current domain owner 3 months to renew the domain. After this period the domain is auctioned at NameJet for a period of 72 hours.

Bidding is starts at either $29.00 or $79.00 depending on its estimated popularity.

This is big business. In January 27, 2008, DNJournal reported that CNN a cable news channel purchased iReport.com for $750,000.

Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)

4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330

Marina del Rey, CA 90292-6601

USA

Phone: +1.310.823.9358

According ICANN Expired Domain Deletion Policy

3.7.5.3 In the absence of extenuating circumstances (as defined in Section 3.7.5.1 above), a domain name must be deleted within 45 days of either the registrar or the registrant terminating a registration agreement.

http://www.icann.org/registrars/eddp.htm

I have found out that registrars are not bound by ICANN Policy. They are only guidelines for registrars to go by.

I left a message with Jason Kenan to verify this.

On January 17, 2008 General Atlantic LLC announced that Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Champ Mitchell and the Company’s Board of Directors have appointed W. Roy Dunbar to succeed Mr. Mitchell as Chief Executive Officer, and Mr. Mitchell will continue with the Company as Chairman of the Board. Mr. Dunbar joins Network Solutions from MasterCard Incorporated, where he was President of Global Technology and Operations.

Mr. Mitchell said, “The Board of Directors and I are very pleased that Roy is joining Network Solutions to lead our long-term growth. It was clear to us that bringing an executive of Roy’s talent and experience to Network Solutions at a time when our business is strong and we are successfully executing our growth strategies will help propel Network Solutions on its growth trajectory. He has proven leadership experience and expertise in technology and sales. I look forward to this new chapter in the history of our Company, and to working with Roy and the Board to build on our significant accomplishments.”

On April 16, 2008 General Atlantic LLC announced that Kamalesh Dwivedi joined its leadership team as a Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer, overseeing Operations, Engineering, Enterprise Data Services and the Program Management. Dwivedi is based at Network Solutions’ corporate headquarters in Herndon, VA.

"Kamalesh is a seasoned transformational technology executive, bringing to Network Solutions more than 25 years of combined experience in engineering, high technology manufacturing and Information Technology" said Roy Dunbar, CEO of Network Solutions. "I am very pleased that Kamalesh has joined our team, as he will play a fundamental role in the continued growth and innovation of our company."

General Atlantic Partners

Citigate Dewe Rogerson

Christof Schramm

Phone +49 (0) 211 5775-904

Fax +49 (0) 211 5775-903

E-Mail christof.schramm@citigatedr.de