OC Sunshine House

62 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Wilbur

Luke Wilbur

Administrator

• Eagle
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts
  • Interests:My family, writing, photography, and my faith.

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:57 AM

Does anyone know what happened to the Sunshine House? The place used have the coolest surfing tee-shirts. Everyone in my school used to wear them.
One of many...

Luke Wilbur
Photo Journalist

Washington DC City Pages
This District's First Online Community
Established in 1994
Free and Open to All

Washington DC Gift Shop

white house christmas ornament

#2 Doug White

Doug White

Friend

• Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:lots

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:30 AM

Hi Luke. Yea, The Sunshine House Surf Shop on 63rd St and Ocean Highway in Ocean City is now the Sunshine Wicker Flower and Furniture shop. It may even be the same owners. The surf shop was there from 1967 until some time in the late 90s. They had about 5 locations in '87 including "B-Town" Bethesda Surf Shop. There is now a bar in Rehoboth Beach called Sunshine House, but I haven't been there.

All my t-shirts are gone but I do still have a classic Sunshine House 1987 20 year anniversary calendar-poster...
Posted Image.

#3 Luke Wilbur

Luke Wilbur

Administrator

• Eagle
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts
  • Interests:My family, writing, photography, and my faith.

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:42 AM

That is very cool :D
One of many...

Luke Wilbur
Photo Journalist

Washington DC City Pages
This District's First Online Community
Established in 1994
Free and Open to All

Washington DC Gift Shop

#4 Doug White

Doug White

Friend

• Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:02 AM

K-coast has been around since 1989 and has two locations.
Posted Image
New superstore on 35th st.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Cloudbreak Boardshop (body boards and skateboards) is another cool place that has its own mini skate park right at their store on 58th street!

Posted Image
Endless Summer Surf Shop is the other classic place and its still there on 37th street.

Edited by Doug White, 24 July 2007 - 10:03 AM.

#5 Doug White

Doug White

Friend

• Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:14 AM

Malibu's Surf Shop is right on the ocean at 8th St Ocean City. They offer one-on-one and group surfing lessons, and they supply the surfboards for the lessons.
Posted Image

#6 Hand Painted Swinger

Hand Painted Swinger
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:38 AM

Malibu's Surf Shop is right on the ocean at 8th St Ocean City. They offer one-on-one and group surfing lessons, and they supply the surfboards for the lessons.
Posted Image

They old manager of Sunshine House in OC is now co-owner of Chauncey's Shurf Shop in OC. They even sell a Sunshine House t-shirt that I wear on stage. I get so many questions about that I lost count...

Billy
Hand Painted Swinger
www.myspace.com/handpaintedswinger

#7 AMY

AMY
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

Do you have a surf unclothed shirt? That would be hot.

#8 Guest

• Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:37 AM

yeah my pops used to own it.

#9 doug white

doug white
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:13 AM

Wow! Really? tell us more. What happened? I hope your Pop is OK. Great memories from the old guy, anyway. I won't forget.

Surf unclothed could be revived someday, no?

#10 Ken Dawg

Ken Dawg
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:26 AM

I worked for the one in Glen Burnie, MD for a few years. Odd location. That was almost 18 years ago. I still miss it and the folks I worked w/.

www.myspace.com/lucybrindel

#11 Guest

• Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

The sunshine house is now Chauncey's surf shop. Blair own's it. C.V. sold it to him and moved to Florida to open up two more shops but closed them down. He is in Vero Beach relaxin. He used to make the shirts there in the shop with a sqeegie(sp.?)! My pops would tell me stories that guys on the boardwalk would rip off their shirts and his partner would get pissed. They lived in that shop for a while upstairs. I've never even seen it except in old pics in our hallway though. He doesn't surf anymore but still has his boards. 62 and kickin. My uncle still has a box of old shirts in his closet but won't even give me one though he say's he will. lol. The two I have are older than I am though. That poster is pretty sick a few posts above!

#12 Al / OCLocal in the 80's

Al / OCLocal in the 80's
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:39 AM

The Sunshine house that sits on 63rd is currently for sale. Just passed it on Sunday and wondered when someone would take it over and start selling the shirts again. As a screen printer myself, I'm amazed at the amount of work that went into those things. Full color fronts, backs AND sleeves. Outstanding.

#13 Glenn

Glenn
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:41 AM

The Sunshine house that sits on 63rd is currently for sale. Just passed it on Sunday and wondered when someone would take it over and start selling the shirts again. As a screen printer myself, I'm amazed at the amount of work that went into those things. Full color fronts, backs AND sleeves. Outstanding.

#14 glennfsp@gmail.com

glennfsp@gmail.com
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:53 AM

I used to work at one in a mall located in or near Chantilly VA. It was my home away from home when I had to move there from the Jax Beach in Florida. I actually still have a bunch of day glow neon stickers that haven't been used from there, just found them the other day. It was a dream job for me at the time. Kind of like a fat guy working as a dough nut taster for Dunkin Dough nuts. Chuck and Chris were the managers there and I have no idea where they are these days. They were great people to work for and it took me a long time to realize that not all managers were so easy to work for. Can't tell you how many time women came in to try on bikinis, and modeled them for us, only to find that they snatched the top and took off. I was distracted.......

#15 chris_*

chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

I used to work at one in a mall located in or near Chantilly VA. It was my home away from home when I had to move there from the Jax Beach in Florida. I actually still have a bunch of day glow neon stickers that haven't been used from there, just found them the other day. It was a dream job for me at the time. Kind of like a fat guy working as a dough nut taster for Dunkin Dough nuts. Chuck and Chris were the managers there and I have no idea where they are these days. They were great people to work for and it took me a long time to realize that not all managers were so easy to work for. Can't tell you how many time women came in to try on bikinis, and modeled them for us, only to find that they snatched the top and took off. I was distracted.......

#16 Ocean City Department of Tourism

Ocean City Department of Tourism

Friend

• Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:01 AM

Here is an original Ocean City Sunshine House t-shirt from 1982.
Posted Image

Edited by Ocean City Department of Tourism, 19 June 2009 - 06:49 AM.

#17 Ocean City Department of Tourism

Ocean City Department of Tourism

Friend

• Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:04 AM

Check out this ancient Ocean City Sunshine House badge pin from the early 80's that I saw on another site. Are you Stoked, or what?
Posted Image

Edited by Ocean City Department of Tourism, 19 June 2009 - 06:49 AM.

#18 jessica finigan

jessica finigan
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:19 AM

hi my name is jessica finigan i am the daughter of jim finigan who was the owner and my dad closed sunshine house when I was 7 but if you are interested in some stuff email me and I can get you some peacoej@yaoo.com THANKS JESSICA F

#19 jessica finigan

jessica finigan
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:26 AM

i ALSO WANTED TO SAY THAT IS NOT AN ORIGNAL SUNSHINE HOUSE SHIRT THE OCEAN CITY FONT IS NOT THE ORIGNIAL.JESICA FINIGAN THE OWNERS DAUGHTER.

#20 Jeff_*

Jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:13 PM

Hi, I'm one of the people who printed the Sunshine House t shirts . I worked for a company (sunshine Designs ) in California. And actually still have all the original tshirt artwork and filmwork. I knew your Dad Jimmy and Blair.I hope there doing ok. And your right that isn't the original.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

2014 Warren G Harding Christmas Ornament