Washington DC Message Boards

Virginia Tech Tragedy

Luke_Wilbur

Mayor Fenty Issues Statement on the Virginia Tech Tragedy

“I am deeply saddened by the act of violence that took place at Virginia Tech today. As a neighboring university and educational home to many District residents, I send condolences to the Virginia Tech student body, residents of Blacksburg and in particular to the families of those individuals who lost their lives. As we grieve with the Blacksburg community, I ask that District residents join me in praying for strength and endurance for all of those affected by today’s tragedy.”

Guest White House

THE PRESIDENT: Our nation is shocked and saddened by the news of the shootings at Virginia Tech today. The exact total has not yet been confirmed, but it appears that more than 30 people were killed and many more were wounded.

I've spoken with Governor Tim Kaine and Virginia Tech President Charles Steger. I told them that Laura and I and many across our nation are praying for the victims and their families and all the members of the university community who have been devastated by this terrible tragedy. I told them that my administration would do everything possible to assist with the investigation, and that I pledged that we would stand ready to help local law enforcement and the local community in any way we can during this time of sorrow.

Schools should be places of safety and sanctuary and learning. When that sanctuary is violated, the impact is felt in every American classroom and every American community.

Today, our nation grieves with those who have lost loved ones at Virginia Tech. We hold the victims in our hearts, we lift them up in our prayers, and we ask a loving God to comfort those who are suffering today.

Guest Shame on our Government

We can only blame ourselves. We legalize Semiautomatic Assault Weapons (SAW) and Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Devices (LCAFD).

The SAW and LCAFD bans were enacted on September 13, 1994, by PL 103-322, Title IX, Subtitle A, section 110105. These bans made it unlawful to manufacture, transfer, or possess SAWs.

On September 13, 2004, the provisions SAW and LCADF ban laws ceased to apply, because Congress failed to renew them. A semiautomatic weapon, you can get off 25 rounds in under 15 seconds — generally if you know what you're doing. It's just a single finger twitch."

Michael Moore was right. Bowling for Colombine film documentary was right about how we live in a violent gun culture. Everywhere I go is "sex, drugs, and rock n' roll."

There has been no new legislation on control of guns since the Columbine incident, which occurred eight years ago this week.

I was listening to NBC where this gun toting woman, Suzanna Hupp, basically said the only way to solve this problem is to allow people to carry more guns. I wonder how much she is getting paid to promote this crap.

Guest Susan_*

I'm not persuaded that people today are anymore sinful or lacking in compassion than in the past. It is just that the means of creating unspeakable suffering exists as never before.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dr.Chud

You can thank Microsoft for its active participation in Marketing the idea that gun violence is cool.

Here's an excerpt from the book "Masters of Doom" by David Kushner...

As the lights fell, a video screen lowered above the stage; It was time for the main event. The crowd cheered as the Doom's familiar corridors began to roll. But it was not the Doom soldier chasing the demons, it was... Bill Gates! Microsoft's fearless leader was superimposed running inside the game in a long black trench coat and brandishing a shotgun. Gates stopped running and addressed the crowd about Windows 95 as a gaming platform: A platform that could deliver cutting-edge multimedia experiences like Doom. But no sooner that he begun that an Imp monster from the game jumped out, through voice over, asked Gates for an autograph [sic]. Gates responded by raising his shotgun and blowing the beast to gory chunks. 'Don't interrupt me while I'm speaking', he said, then finished his speech. At the end, the screen went black with blood, only to be replaced with the familiar Microsoft phrase 'Who do you want to execute today?'. 'This is it', Alex thought, 'I'm going to be fired'. He went to retrieve the video, but it was gone. He could keep his job, he learned, but Microsoft was keeping the tape.

Check out this video of Bill Gate's entering the world of doom.

http://home.comcast.net/~reelsplatter/BillDoomTitles.wmv